Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought first bonsai... looks okay?

Posted by sutremaine UK S.Wales 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 19:14

Got it from the garden centre on a whim, because it caught my eye. They usually have bonsai there, but while they're nice to look at usually they don't grab me. It's a Ficus retusa.

The bad:
* Trunk's a little torn up, but the large gouge on the corner is rolling over nicely. Top... ehh.
* Strange branch placement, with branches coming off the back being curved towards the front. They're pretty solid too.
* Wonky taper. Keeps looking worse the more I look at it.

The good:
* Nice trunk shape, I think.
* The area below the original soil line turned out to be fairly chunky, though I'd need to move some roots around to round it out.
* Vigorous species.

I was thinking of just giving it a large pot and letting it put on weight until next year at least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought first bonsai... looks okay?

Sutremaine,, congrations first tree ! If it were mine,i would use the # 3rd picture as a front.. prune the branch in the middle off..when you plant it turn the lower base with the rounded part to the left a little so it is on the the side.. nice tree they are fun to work with... John

o

Sutremaine,, congrations first tree ! If it were mine,i would use the # 3rd picture as a front.. prune the branch in the middle off..when you plant it turn the lower base with the rounded part to the left a little so it is on the the side.. nice tree they are fun to work with... John

o

Nice plant to work with indeed -- it hasn't dropped a leaf from this rough treatment of its roots, and indeed looks much shinier and inflated after a couple of days in the growtank. It's 100% humidity and around 18 - 23 C in there, which is very nice for recuperating tropicals.

Something like this for the replanting?

o

That is the way I would go..It will be a nice tree after you work with it.... take care john

o

A nicer photo... First dose of fertiliser today, haven't done any work beyond snipping off dead and dry bits and nipping at the edges of the dead wood at the top. The pot is not conducive to horizontal root spread, but that's fine for now. I'm growing the topmost roots with an eye to raising them up later, and what's underneath those roots can be worked on in the future.

The large branch is staying on for now, to try and get the base thickened up. The one to the right could probably go right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here