Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
griffinking

Following directions but bonsai plant is turning brown

griffinking
13 years ago

I just bought a juniper bonsai plant about a month ago, but but now the leaves are turning whitish and some are already brown.

I have been following directions: I potted in a proper bonsai ceramic (with two holes on the bottom) with a cactus potting soil mix. I water it about every other day keeping the soil moist and spongy. I mist it everyday. I have been keeping it out in my lanai, where it gets full Florida sun through a screen. Today, I have moved it inside. I have not trimmed it yet and won't until this clears up. Any more suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:10125}}

Comment (1)

• larke
    13 years ago

It's drowning, being watered much too often (it should almost dry out between times) and the soil should not be soil, but mostly grit (see the Soil subforum on www.bonsaisite.com for more). Also, you shouldn't be spraying it - it's a waste of time for even tropicals, and pointless on a juniper which normally likes dry conditions in any case. And why is it getting sun through a screen? It's native to the hot (in summer) and dry conditions of the west, and can take a lot of cold in winter as well. Cactus soil is not appropriate, though probably slightly better than peaty potting soil. If more of the tree is brown and brittle than otherwise, it's probably been dead a long time.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services