Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald cypress

Posted by frankcb PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 19:29

Hi,
I'am having trouble with one of my bald cypress trees. I purchased it last summer and it grew very well. It is starting to put out buds and shoots all over, but they seem to die off. When I touch them they are dry and fall off. I have another bald cypress right next to it, and it is doing fine. I water them both the same, and they get the same sunlight. Any suggestions why the new growth is dying, and what to do

Thanks,

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald cypress

How often do you water and how much, and how? They need a lot of water (though the mix should be free draining) and of course should be living outside for life. Have you taken it out of the pot to investigate how the roots look?

o

Hi,
When I watred it today I noticed that the water stayed on top of the soil for awhile before sinkingin.I didn't think it would matter as I heard you can't overwater them, they live in water. Should I water this tree twice a day , or should I replase the soil with fresh faster draining soil?

Thanks,

Frank

o

You need to soak it well (if slowly) when you do water, til it comes out the drain holes. It may be rootbound (take a look) or just have been allowed to dry out so much the soil turned to concrete (and yes some grit in there would be a good idea, though you might want to wait now until the fall to do it unless you're repotting anyway because of the roots.) You can always allow the top to become dry between waterings, certainly the mix shouldn't be sodden all the time, but I'd water well when you do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here