Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, my bonsai is dying!

Posted by honeydarling (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 19:30

I realize this post is a shot in the dark, but I also plan to run around all the forums I can find on the Internets and see if they can help me too.

My bonsais leaves started turning yellow 6 or so weeks ago, pretty much out of the blue. Shes been in the same window, receiving pretty much the same amount of water for the last 18 months. Her pot has two big holes in the bottom, so shes never sitting in water. I definitely watered her less over the winter (3-4 times per week) as opposed to the last few months when shes been watered every other day.

I was getting worried and so I ran some plant food through with her watering about three weeks ago. I thought maybe she was just hungry. Her leaves have gotten progressively yellow and feeding didnt seem to help.

Theres no heater blowing on her and as far as I can tell, her environment hasnt changed. I dont see any signs of infestation under the leaves or in the moss, although the yellowing leaves have brown spots that seem to get darker and more pronounced as the leaf becomes more yellow (this could just be part of the yellowing process?).

We took her out of her pot yesterday and I gave her fresh potting soil. Shes sitting on the front porch now, although Im a little worried its going to get a bit warm for her over the next week or so.

Do you have any ideas? Are there any bonsai doctors out there? I am so worried and sad and I just dont know what else to do. Thank you so much if you are able to help. Can you tell me what kind of tree she is?

Picture here: http://koencidence.com/2009/05/22/help-my-bonsai-is-dying/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, my bonsai is dying!

'She' huh...ok.
What you have is a Fukien Tea and I suspect you live in North America?
What you have is one of the most finicky tropicals to try and grow/maintain outside of a tropical environment. They don't need much sunlight and will go moody with any major changes in temperature, humidity, etc.
You've also started to do everything you shouldn't do to a suspected sick tree/plant...increase watering, feeding, move it outside to have it's (excuse me 'her') picture taken.
Yellowing dropping leaves are a trait of the plant, especially in wet conditions. It is a tropical and should spring back over time. The pot looks like typical cheap 'malsai' pots, the 'soil' was probably staying wet and the pot was not draining well or much.
Now that you know what it is you can Google and get some care information for 'her'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here