Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Give up on the Juniper and Try Something New? (Pic included)

Posted by bwackv NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 19:45

Hello,

I bought a bonsai at home depot about two months ago and it's a Juniper I think. From what I'm reading, they don't belong indoor, especially not with the weak light my apartment in NYC provides. I've attached a picture. It's browing. I believe to save this I can take it home to Pennsylvania where my mother can put in a sandy/barky mix and get it outdoor light as much as possible?

If I can save it in this apartment, or I'm totally wrong about what kind of tree it is what advice can you give me to help it?

Finally, for my low-medium light apartment with little direct sunlight, what beginner Bonsai do you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Give up on the Juniper and Try Something New? (Pic included)

Sorry no recommendations for a low light indoor bonsai
But don't beat yourself up to bad
If you bought it at HomeDepot chances are it was already dead

o

Yes by all means put the Juniper outside. A good low light indoor bonsai is a Ginseng Ficus. I have one. They have bulbous trunks and are quite exotic looking. You can also have Bonsai Jade inside with more light. Just look on Bonsai Boy site and they tell you which ones are good for indoors.

o

Thanks for much for your replies. I'll get this outside and find something more appropriate for my apartment. And I won't shop at home depot again (In my defense I was there buying wood and happened upon the Juniper).

o

Good luck and remember that if anyone selling bonsai tells you that conifers, Juniper, pine etc. can be kept indoors they are lying and just trying to make a sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here