Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncertain of Species

Posted by Sparkers30 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:48

Hello,

Bought this a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it is dying or is poorly. It is wilting a great deal.

I need to sort it out. But could you please tell me the species?

It said 'Ligustrum' on the label that came with the tree when I bought it from Garden Centre, however, considering the Serissa I have was marked as a Zelkova I can't be sure of anything.

(Also if you have any ideas on why it could be wilting it would be very useful. It has happened slowly over the last four days. It isn't taking up water quickly. I was wetting the soil once a day using a squirty bottle or flooding through when it got pretty dry.
At the moment the middle of the soil is slightly moist.
I don't want to water it though in case I am overwatering and this is killing it. But then I don't want to underwater.

It sits on the window sill and gets direct sunlight. It has been quite sunny the last few days. Though given I live in the British Isles it isn't getting blasted by the light.

The soil seems to be general purpose stuff that the garden centre have used. I do have a bonsai soil that I have just bought.

Where would you get started in working out what to do with the tree in its current state of wilting heavily?

Thanks for your help

Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncertain of Species

If I can help to provide more information by taking more photos, please let me know.

(I am complete beginner with this. I bought a serissa and this plant without realisation how difficult it is to care for them. But although I have ordered books to get trained up in knowing what to do, I need to keep them alive up until I become more savvy. )

o

Bump

o

Hopefully your tree still lives...

A photo of the pot, trunk base, and soil, would be helpful. Along with a description of the soil type, and your method for checking moisture content.

Have you by chance re-potted, or disturbed the roots in any way since you got the tree?

o

Thanks for your reply. The tree was going downhill fast.

And the water it had been given days ago obviously hadn't soaked up.

I found it was pot-bound. Lots of root and much of it rotten from not taking up water. I removed most of the roots and then put it in a more porous soil.

I hope it lives. I heard these privet trees are quite hardy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here