Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin_07

New to Bonsai...Help needed

justin_07
16 years ago

I guess I should start this by mentioning that I'm almost completely new to bonsai growing. I've read a few books, etc. but this is the first time I've "tried the real thing," so to speak.

I recently purchased a Jade tree bonsai (about 7') from a bonsai nursery at a garden show. It seems to have a fair amount of new growth, and (I'm sorry if I sound utterly hopeless) some of the larger branches are woody near the trunk and become less so the further out they extend. The question becomes, then, how much should I prune this tree, and do I need to prune it at all? Also, if pruning is required, can I simply pinch off new growth, or should I use small pruning shears?

Secondly, I am keeping the tree indoors by a window that gets direct morning sunlight and stays pretty bright the remainder of the day. Is this suitable? I live in the deep south where there are aphids aplenty, and I've heard that Jade trees are very prone to aphid attacks. Because of this, I'm a little worried about keeping it outside.

So, in conclusion, should I prune my tree and where should I keep it? I'm very sorry about my ignorance, but I would like to keep this tree alive :).

Thanks so much for your patience.

Comments (2)

• lucy
    16 years ago

What would be helpful is if you post a picture to the gallery of this forum and leave a note (here) saying that you've done it. It's otherwise pretty hard to advise without seeing it. Just for the record, when and if you do ever take off any leaves (from jades - Crassula argentea), twist them off right at their bases as if you were pinching, only turn slowly as well and they'll come off clean.

• tanyag
    16 years ago

I have one jade bonsai and 3 in training. All of them are indoors-one in a window with your same conditions and three under lights. Mine are crassula ovata, which is true jade. You can prune them just about any time, however just before the growing season is best. Right now they are in growing season, but would soon go dormant if outside because it gets so hot. Yours may not go dormant inside because it is in more controlled conditions. I would not prune hard right now (just in case) although that is a technique used to fatten up the trunk, but you must do so selectively and with purpose. It takes some time to get it back to the full state you may be looking for. If you are removing leaves just twist off, but if you are removing branches, use a clean hand pruner. I usually cut at a forty-five degree angle with the cut facing away from the front view. This looks nicer asthetically for viewing purposes. Don't cut any closer than 1 1/2 to 2" away from the main trunk, depending on the size of the overall tree and look you want. If you cut too close, the remaining part of the branch will typically shrivel up and fall off. You don't have to prune anything unless you are doing so with a purpose though - a branch crossing another, awkward placement)

Jade trees are susceptible to lots of pest. I am with you on that one. I have about 40 or so succulents outside in my front garden. They are all doing great. I brought a jade home from school for summer and after I watered it noticed droplets of water set high in the plant but not on the leaves. I realized there was a very fine web. This is the gift of the spider mite. They love jade. There are several teas that you can mix to kill it, just do search in the cactus and succulent forum if you ever need to. The other thing you can do is use the Bayer Tree and Shrub Systemic Pesticide. It is really strong stuff so only mix it one tablespoon to one gallon of warm water for the succulents. I've read others who use the same ratio for their bonsai as well. I've never done it though. The soil should be slightly moist and then drench the soil. This helps the plant fight off almost everything. DON'T get it on the leaves and don't have it in direct sun for a couple of days after you do this. But this is only necessary really if you decide to keep it outside. Indoors you need to watch for mealy bug. On the leaves, you can treat by spraying a mix of 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol or lemon liquid soap and water. Spray it daily until the problem resolves. Make sure you check the underside of the leaves where it likes to hide. If some parts are pesky and you can't get them, dip a q-tip in the alcohol directly and rub the little bug right off.

Good luck with everything. BTW, is it 7' or 7"? If it is 7', I REALLY want to see a picture. ;0)

Sponsored