Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Same same

Posted by head_cutter Vietnam (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 23:08

One of the signs that the economy is tanking here is the amount of plants/trees showing up for sale on the street almost daily; with sharply reduced prices. The prices of even poorly conceived bonsai went through the roof a few years ago. Now, eating is becoming more important than hanging onto a tree.

During the Tet holiday this tree would have been worth the inflated price of $2-300 USD. Going for coffee on day I found it for 300,000 VND or about $15. My wife went back and bargained a little - bought it for 220,000 VND.

3 feet tall, nice 'foot', pretty nice root system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Same same

As I found it.

o

In a junk pot for a while and better soil to allow it to fill out again then - back to work!

o

Not quite a month, update. Regular feeding has started an explosion of new growth. Time to chase it back very hard once again.

o
Neat plant

Would like to buy seeds from you of any caudiciform succulent you might come across. Looking for Adenium, Pachypodium and Pelargonium. We could also trade

o

To the poster above - Sorry but, even if I could send them out of the country they probably wouldn't make it out of quarantine in yours (USA?)

Chased things back a little this morning - may still take off one large branch which would make the design much better. Thinking about it...

o

The nebari on that 15 dollar tree tells the whole story. My eyes can't help but be drawn to it.

Great find!

o

Last big cut, time to let it grow in again. Yep FL, the nebari as well as the movement caught my eye on the street. All I had to do was spread the roots a little and re-set it then go to work. Should be decent looking in about a year =)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here