Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboo_turtles

Ficus indoors ?

bamboo_turtles
13 years ago

I know benjamina do okay indoors but I was wondering what other ficus species do okay indoors and what ficus species will not . THanks

Comments (19)

• larke
    13 years ago

Unless you're already living in the tropics, or it's summer wherever you are, Ficus have to be indoors in N. America as it's tropical, and all Ficus are the same in that respect.

• bamboo_turtles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Respectully I'll have to disagree on that one . I live in So Cali at the moment and we keep all species of all ficus outdoors all year round . I'm moving to texas and I know it could be alittle cold for palmeri , etc ? Maybe I wont have the leasure to keeping them outdoors all year in zone 8b ?

• larke
    13 years ago

Why did you ask if you know the answers?! By "tropics" I meant wherever it's very warm and summerlike vs wintry. Why didn't you ask what you wanted to know, i.e. about Texas? You could always Google Ficus temperature range, couldn't you?

• simsedward
    13 years ago

I live in Michigan and my ficus trees are thriving outdoors. They get a ton of growth outside and are happy as ever.

• larke
    13 years ago

Yes, but they don't live outside year-round there, do they?!

• bamboo_turtles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip simsedward. Larke , you make me laugh .

• simsedward
    13 years ago

NO WAY Larke!! I bring these babies in for the winter!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

That was Larke's point, I believe... ;)

In *most* regions, all Ficus spend part of the year indoors.
    There are exceptions, of course - Southern California being one.

Josh

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

I'm sorry all, look at the nickname...look back over the years worth of adolecent posts...does this person have even a small clue? Doubt it.

Bob

• andrewrph
    13 years ago

To make it short, Ficus can stay out door as long as the temp not below 40. I have tried to keep them them around 35; they seem to take it very well (please don't try with your expensive ones)

• larke
    13 years ago

For the record, Larke is an old English family name, not a whimsy. Head cutter is which adolescent version of hairdresser?

• raiun42
    13 years ago

BT from what I've read from Jerry Mieslick? I believe any ficus normaly kept for bonsai can be grown indoors.
    I've been bringing my three (F. natalensis, nerrifolia,Carica?) in at night during the winter here in N Florida.(lows upper teens). I think you are better of just putting up a light stand and keep them in all winter. Going to try it this comming winter.
    I believe Jerry's advise is around 55F at the lowest, but why take a chance.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Hey Bamboo I didn't know you were joining us here in Texas! Welcome! Where ya moving to? Depending on where you are the ficus will be able to spend most of the year outside. The big ficus in the yard survived hurricane Ike and 4' of salt water, then 40+ hours below freezing.
    Come to Galveston and visit.
    Tally Ho!

• bamboo_turtles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Riun42 , I've been thinking for about a year now getting both Indoor Bonsai and Ficus book by Jerry M. I've never seen the book here , are you impressed with the book?
    Thanks for the welcoming beachplant ! I grew up in North Tx all my life , been out here in San Diego for a very long time though ,I'm very much looking forward to the texas summer skies ! All my ficus are in pots , I might take them to austin to a friends and plant them in the ground for a two or three years and maybe bonsai them . I think DFW will be too cold in the winters to be put in the ground .

• raiun42
    13 years ago

bamboo turtles, I've only read the Ficus the Exotic Bonsai. by j meislick. I consider it a must have book for someone just starting to seriously keep tropical bonsai indoors in North America. This guy keeps ficus indoors year round up in the frozen tundra of Montana or somewhere.
    Personaly I don't like bonsai indoors (in my house).
    BUT my little wife stopped at Jim Smith's nursery in Ft Pierce Fl and of course they sent her home with big Boganvilla and Ficus.So here I am.(Bonsai and Wife both keepers)
    I also was born and raised in Texas . Used to squirell hunt in what is now Ceder Creek Lake.

• raiun42
    13 years ago

I forgot to add. Google....House Plants Texas A&M. There is a good site with lots of info on indoor plants.
    AND it comes from Texas. so it all must be true.

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Larke...FYI, I wasn't refering to you but the original poster.
    Bob

• bamboo_turtles
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gutting your arguments with one statement of your ignorance isn't rocket science. Bobby , you're clutching at some serious straws here ! LOL

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

You Ficus growers are more tempermental than your plants! ;)

Josh

Sponsored