Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizcaro

Newbie Questions: Identify and Care for 'bonsai'

mizcaro
14 years ago

Hello!

I am new to bonsai care and could use some help! I purchased one of the cheap pseudo-bonsai from my local store so if I kill it (which is highly likely) it won't be as upsetting as killing a mature and expensive tree.

I didn't notice until I got home that the one I have had those hideous glued on rocks (which I have already removed - soaking the whole base in water made removal very simple) and I believe from pictures I've seen on this website it might be a Brush Cherry(??). It seems healthy so far, there is new growth and some of the leaves looked spotted but it was all grime and easily wiped clean. (See Some Pictures Below)

{{gwi:10587}}

{{gwi:10589}}

{{gwi:10591}}

{{gwi:10593}}

So now I need help with the next part. I suppose I have to check for root rot, but I'm not going to remove it tonight without another pot or soil to put it in.

I have so many questions after realizing the peril of those dumb glued rocks! I already knew I was buying an inexpensive plant, but I still want it to live! If I could have any help to any of my questions I will be grateful...I will just list them below:

*Do I transplant the tree into a different container or re-pot it with new soil into the one it came with?

*What is the best way of removing the tree from it's current pot since it's really packed in there?

*What size pot is usually needed?(the tree is 8 inches tall, the pot is 3in x 3in x 4.5in)

*Will it survive in just regular old potting soil?

*How do I recognize root rot?

Assuming it is a Brush Cherry I can look up other care guides such as watering/temperature/sunlight/fertilizing but if someone is currently raising one I wouldn't mind hearing about personal preferences! :)

I plan on reading up more on how to care for my new plant but any advice/tips thrown my way would be great!

Thanks!

Caroline

Comments (4)

Sponsored