Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehsahr

sesame see oil as pesticide

ehsahr
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to deal with a pretty bad red spider mite problem right now, and I'm handicapped in what pesticides I can use due to the presence of our pet rabbits in the lawn (they're indoor rabbits, but we let them outside frequently).

In an effort to find something I can use as a pesticide that won't endanger our rabbits, I came across the suggestion of rapeseed oil. I looked around town but couldn't find any... however, all the local nurseries carried an organic pesticide that uses sesame seed oil. The directions on the bottle are pretty vague... simply that you soak whatever plant needs treatment and it's safe for people and pets.

Has anyone here had any experience using sesame seed oil as a pesticide? Can you tell me if there are any particular trees it should not be used on, or used in smaller quantities? Or for that matter, anything else I may need to know?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• lucy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Safer's Insecticidal Soap Spray should be available anywhere that sells garden stuff, but I seriously suggest you rig something high enough (a table, bench) to be out of the rabbits' way - they are very sensitive to chemicals, but do the spraying somewhere they don't go, whether a shed, front of the house, whatever.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Here's an article I wrote about Neem Oil. It's completely safe around birds & mammals - can't vouch for fish, though. ;o)

Neem Extract as an Insecticidesize>

In India mainly, but also Asia and Africa, grows a tree all plant enthusiasts should be aware of, Azadirachta indica, commonly known as the "neem" tree, and a relative of mahogany. Extracts from the trees seeds contain azadirachtin, a relatively safe and effective naturally occurring organic insecticide. Let me preface the comments following, by reminding you that the terms "naturally occurring and/or organic" do not universally mean safe. Pyrethrums, rotenone, and even the very dangerous nicotine are all organic insecticides that should be handled with great caution. Neem extracts, on the other hand are very safely used in a wide variety of cosmetics, as a topical treatment for minor wounds, as an insecticide in grain storage containers, bins, and bags, and a whole host of other applications. Neem is very safe for use around birds & mammals. I'll limit this discussion to its use as an insecticide.

Neem works in many ways. It is effective both in topical and a systemic applications. It is an anti-feedant, an oviposition deterrent (anti-egg laying), a growth inhibitor, a mating disrupter, and a chemosterilizer. Azadirachtin, a tetranortriterpenoid compound, closely mimics the hormone Edison, which is necessary for reproduction in insects. When present, it takes the place of the real hormone and thus disrupts not only the feeding process, but the metamorphic transition as well, disrupting molting. It interferes with the formation of chitin (insect "skin") and stops pupation in larvae, thus short-circuiting the insect life cycle. It also inhibits flight ability, helping stop insect spread geographically

Tests have shown that azadirachtin is effective in some cases at concentrations as low as 1 ppm, but some producers use alcohol in the extraction of neem oil from plant parts which causes the azadirachtin to be removed from the oil. Some products touting neem oil as an ingredient actually have no measurable amounts of azadiractin. I use what is referred to either as cold pressed or virgin neem oil. You may also occasionally find it referred to as "raw" neem or "crude" neem oil.

Neem oil is most often used in an aqueous (water) suspension as a foliar spray or soil drench. Commonly, it is diluted to about a .5 to 2% solution, but the suggested ratio for use in container plant culture is 1 tsp. per quart of warm water. A drop or two of dish soap (castile or olive oil soap is best) helps keep the oil emulsified. The mixture is then applied as a mist to all leaf and bark surfaces and as a soil drench to the tree's root system. It should not be applied as a foliar spray on hot days or in bright sun as leaf burn may occur. Remember to agitate the container frequently as you apply and do not mix anymore than you will use in one day. Neem breaks down rapidly in water and/ or sunlight.

Some users of insecticides feel the need to observe the instant results of their efforts in order to be convinced of the effectiveness of what they are using. The application of neem derivatives does not provide this immediate gratification. There is virtually no knockdown (instant death) factor associated with its use. Insects ingesting or contacting neem usually take about 3 - 14 days to die. Its greatest benefit; however, is in preventing the occurrence of future generations. It is also interesting to note that in studies it was found that when doses were given, purposefully insufficient to cause death or complete disruption of the metamorphic cycle, up to 30 surviving generations showed virtually no resistance/ immunity to normal lethal doses, so it appears that insects build no Âresistance to azadiractin.

I have been using neem oil for five years as both a preventative and fixative and have had no insect problems on my container plants. Applications of cold-pressed neem oil are most effective for use on mites, whitefly, aphids, thrips, fungus gnats, caterpillars, beetles, mealy bugs, leaf miners, g-moth, and others. It seems to be fairly specific in attacking insects with piercing or rasping mouth parts. Since these are the pests that feed on plant tissues, they are our main target species. Unless beneficial like spiders, lady beetles, certain wasps, etc., come in direct contact with spray, it does little to diminish their numbers.

Neem oil does have an odor that might be described as similar to that of an old onion, so you may wish to test it first, if you intend to use it indoors. I've found the odor dissipates in a day or two. As always, read and follow label instructions carefully.

Neem oil can be purchased from many net or local sources. My favorite brand is Dyna-Gro, pure, cold-pressed neem oil. If you have trouble locating a source, you can contact me via the forum or directly.

Al Fassezkesize>

• ehsahr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, awesome article on neem oil! Thanks tapla.

So, the specific product that I'm dealing with is Organocide. I did a search for it on this website (that is, ALL forums) and I didn't find anything bad about it, but all the results were from gardening forums. If anyone here knows about this product and its use specific to bonsai, I'd love to hear your opinion. As it is, I've been using it for a bit with no noticeable problems so far.

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

That stuff sounds ok and the Safer soap is also a very very good product to use around people and pets. In this product orientated world we tend to forget about the simple things as well.

Plain old Ivory dish soap will work very well on most common pests and is safe for everything. Nicotine is also a very good pest control product and safe to use (your wabbits may develop a slight tobacco addiction but it shouldn't be over a pack a day).

Here I have every pest you can imagine plus some you don't want to. However, I also have a nice team of pest control 'experts' that work 24/7/365...frogs, toads, spiders of all sizes (some you wouldn't want to meet in dark alley) and gekos(sp). My most vexing problem are mosquito larve in the pot with my big Ficus which is growing root-over-rock in water.

A few cigarette butts a week seems to handle that problem well. So far none of the 'experts' have taken up the habit.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago

Old post, I know ...... but FWIW, Ivory dish detergent and all other brands of dishsoap are phytotoxic. They strip cuticular waxes from leaves and stems and destroy root lipid membranes. Tobacco juice is a known carcinogen.

Al