Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mullenkedheim

Acer Palmatum 'Kotohime' in a moss ball

mullenkedheim
13 years ago

Right.

I was at a local greenhouse that I sometimes frequent, and stumbled across this.

{{gwi:10804}}

The label says it's an Acer Palmatum 'Kotohime'. It's in a moss ball of some sort which is screwnailed to the plastic tray it's on.

Now, I know you're all probably groaning to yourselves, "Oh, that's horrible," or "oh, it's another person who doesn't know anything about bonsai whose bought something like this..." and you wouldn't be wrong.

I bought it because it was cute. I will concede that.

The woman at the store, when asked about care, said only "keep the moss ball wet". And I'm sure that's good for now, or if I intend to throw it out, but if at all possible I'd really prefer not to.

So, how the heck do I take care of this bad boy?

Comments (10)

• larke
    13 years ago

I would say that if you keep that wet, you'll end up with a very happy ball of moss and a very dead maple tree. I won't say what else I think right now.

• mullenkedheim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aw, go on. Let me have it.

• simsedward
    13 years ago

Get rid of the moss ball, get it into the ground or a large pot and by all means - get that tree outside!

• mullenkedheim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right. I took apart the moss ball. Moss on top, peat on the outside, stones and very light brown mud inside (mud, of course, because the ball has been kept constantly moist). Moved it into a (small) pot of rich, yet well draining soil, have it in a shady location outside (quite shaded, doesn't get any direct sun during the day -- shouldn't be shocked tooooo badly by the sudden outsideyness). Will buy a larger pot for it Wednesday (the first day I have the time to, unfortunately -- had time today, but didn't ask about it until the shops had closed -_-).

• larke
    13 years ago

That soil should not be "rich", but sandy gritty stuff full of gravelly bits that drains right away. And let it get a little more light, won't kill it unless you're in Phoenix.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I'd leave it in the shade for at least a week.
    Gradually introduce it to brighter light. The roots aren't back "online" yet, so it
    won't be taking up moisture or photosynthesizing at full capacity...

Larke's right about the soil mix. A gritty, free-draining mix will not hold its shape when wet.
    If you take a wet handful, it should simply fall apart. In the long run, a gritty mix will
    make subsequent re-pottings a breeze.

Josh

• mullenkedheim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's only in that because it's the only thing I had handy. It's a stop-gap. I'll whip up a proper, grittier mix on Wednesday.

• mullenkedheim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Right, it's Wednesday, and I popped out to get components of a grittier mix. During my lunch hour, I did a Google search for 'maple soil container' and found a post (this one) by Al (he of the Gritty Mix) suggesting a mix for Japanese maples. I went with that, or close to it, any way.

1 part granite grit
    1 part Turface (not exactly turface, but the same sort of deal)
    1 part pine bark (fresh)
    0.3 parts "red loam", medium grain (roughly the same size as the crushed granite and the turface), as suggested by the master gardener at the center (I figured I'd take his word for it, since I'm in Japan, and the guy probably knows his native trees).

I suppose we shall see how it does in the next little while. I've still got it in shade, since being stressed by the moss plus having its roots disturbed, at this time of year, twice in a week doesn't make for a happy tree, I reckon. I'll move it to a place where it gets more sun in a week or so, depending how things go.

I know y'all probably get well annoyed with questions like this, but I appreciate the help.

• larke
    13 years ago

Why should we get annoyed? Definitely not, that's what the forum's for, and at least you're not asking absurd questions like some people :-). And that mix sounds perfect!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I just noticed this thread. The technique of planting in moss covered balls instead of pots is called 'kokedama'. The soil is a muck soil, commonly used for rock plantings and building dams for slab plantings.

Al

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County