Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sycamore bonsi

Posted by carcar none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 9:57

I bought a sycamore seedling 3 years ago, put it in the ground to grow. The trunk is now about the size of a quarter. How large should it be before I can dig it out and start it on becoming a bonsi? I have snipped the top down some the last 2 years so it doesn't get to tall. Should I dig it out and pot it? What's next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sycamore bonsi

Do dig it out and pot it - next April. It's now full summer as far as the tree is concerned and not a good time to dig... the best time is just before buds open - have filled out but not yet leafed. Are you sure though that you want a tree with such large leaves? Not a popular bonsai subject because of that.

o

yes, I saw one on the internet once and it was beautiful. I was told that if you continue to cut the leaves in half that they will eventually get smaller. Is that true?

o

Yes, but there's more to it... like when, how much/many, etc. etc. Not something to do right off the bat (or for a few yrs yet anyhow).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here