Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple air layering

Posted by stevm65 z5Ma (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 10:12

Hi,
I have three air layers (branch calipers between 3/8 and 3/4") started in April on a large Sango Kaku Japanese Maple in my yard. The top sections above the layering point on all three are doing well with lots of new growth. I used the split pot method with bonsai soil, so I can't see the root development but I'm pretty sure it's moving along also. I want to leave the connection as long as possible, but I need to separate the layers before the Winter because I'm moving. Does anyone know whether it would be better to separate in late August before leaf drop or after the leaves fall. I plan on leaving them in the pots they rooted in, in a cold(35o) house until spring, how should I treat the cut end? Wound sealant? Maybe partially bury the whole small pot in a larger pot with fast draining soil and allow the cut end access to moisture? Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple air layering

Considering the age of the air-layer and your intended after care, I would think either time would work just fine.
If I had to choose I would pick the earlier time period.
I only say this because putting it in another pot will act as a temperature buffer should you get a sudden cold spell.
The roots normally would continue growing as long as the roots are at a 55ish temperature. It's better that they harden off gradually.
Another reason, although I'm not sure it's valid, is that cutting off earlier establishes a trade-off in hormones between your airlayered roots and the foliage before going dormant.
As for sealing, I guess that's debatable. In both cases, you'll eventually be trimming them both back at some future time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here