Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edeck_gw

Gardenia is in Shock ???? or Dead????

Edeck
12 years ago

I have a Bonsai Gardenia, I bought it for my Father before he passed away. I took possession of it afterwards. My wife and I do volunteer work and it requires traveling to different countries from time to time. I left the plant with my Grand-daughter with instructions to care for it. She went away for a few days and decided to fill the bed of the plant with ice cubes so it would still get watered. She is 11. When she returned home she found the plant dropping its leaves and looking quite dead. I have been trying to revive it for a month or so but it still looks dead and there aren't any leaves at all nor signs of any new buds, etc. It doesn't have the dead wood look through out the plant but there are some areas like that. Some parts of the tree still has that reddish brown look to the bark and is flexible to bend, not like the dead wood which is very stiff and brittle. Can it be revived? Is it in shock or dead?. Do you have any suggestions or should I just trash it.

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Ed, first, I'm sorry about your dad.

I have a few bonsais and Gardenias, however, I do not have a bonsai Gardenia. :)

My advice is towards your Gardenia.

There are many reasons plants go down hill..It's possible, the ice cubes shocked the Gardenia's roots. Is the soil still wet?

Since the stems are flexible, your Gardenia is alive. Cut a small section of stem. If the inside is green, all the better.

For the time being, set your Gardenia in a medium, bright light window.
    Water when soil is on the dry side..not bone dry, a little crumbly.
    Spray/mist leaves daily.
    Withhold fertilizer until new growth forms.

Do you have Superthrive or VF-11? If so, apply proper dossage. Superthrive is added to soil...VF-11 can be sprayed on leaves or in soil.

When baby leaves produce, foliar spray with Fish Emulsion. Fish Emulsion is an organic fertilizer. Do not use with your regular fertilizer. When leaves are fully developed, go back to your normal fertilizer.

Hope this help..Good luck, Toni

• samie13_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I also have a bonsai gardenia that my son gave me for Mother's Day. It had several buds on it and they bloomed almost immediately. But the leaves also started falling off. I tried watering it a little more, but more leaves fell off, so I let it get a little drier, but more leaves fell off. Still it bloomed again last week. I bought some acid type fertilizer that is good for camelias and gardenias, but still the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I mist it several times a day, moved it from a west window to an east window for more sun, but still leaves are falling off. The soil is tremendously hard packed around it, the water rolls off if it is dry, it seems to be almost solid, you can't pick up grains of soil and it is domed above the planter. I do try to keep a little water in the humidity tray below it too. I don't know what to do next to try to save this plant! Can anyone help?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Sounds like the soil is the problem, Samie.

I rescued a gardenia from that peat-based hard-packed soil.
    Half the plant was lost from the death of the roots, but now the other half is on the mend.

I think you'll have to soak the root-ball until moist, then gently remove as much soil as possible.
    Then you'll need to re-pot using a better soil - nothing from a bag, hopefully.

I also add vinegar to my water to make it more acid for the gardenia.

Josh

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!