Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID for this Juniper and Other type.

Posted by talondsm94 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 12:01

I picked these up from an old nursery from the clearance pile and the owner of the place could not remember the names of the plants. I have determined that the one is some type of juniper and the other pine may be some type of small spruce. The yellow/green leaf one with hard light colored branches I could not ID for the life of me. I picked them up for potential bonsai because they were cheap and had allot of character that could be brought out.
Thanks for your help and this is my first post on the forum.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID for this Juniper and Other type.

The one with the bigger trunk is just a common 'yard' Juniper used by most landscapers in North America. The other is some variety of Spruce, these are mostly propagated by woody cuttings. The growth habit of these will vary a lot depending on where the cutting was taken from.

While the Juniper will make a good Bonsai, the Spruce may not. Most common varities of Spruce don't like either root restriction or heavy pruning, they are also very slow growers once potted. If it's in the Ezo family you may get lucky. All you need is a well draining pot and soil mix to keep them growing and happy.

Bob

o
RE: Plant ID for this Juniper and Other type.

Thanks Bob. That is what I had thought they were, but wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable. The one that I am having allot of trouble with is the green leafed deciduous one. I can't seem to determine what this one is.
Any and all help would be great. Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here