Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woody1710

help with my serissa

woody1710
16 years ago

Can someone please help me? I have got a serissa tree, and i have looked on different websites about care. One site said keep the roots wet, and that it does better outside (I live in the UK.) I put it outside for 2 or 3 days, the weather was quite blustery and wet. When I checked on it all the leaves have fallen off, there are a few leaves left but they are going black. I have put bonsai fertilizer on it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have cut the dead branches right back but I think I've cut too much off. Can anybody tell me how to save this little tree as I will be gutted if it dies.

Comments (6)

• barebum
    16 years ago

They like wet feet,but can be over watered.Let it dry out a bit and stop fertilizing and pruning.Check the soil every day if its moist don't water. Try to keep it moist,but not saturatrd.It needs direct sun every day.In my experince when they have faded as far as yours its hard to bring back,but don't give up.

• woody1710
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I will try that. I have already put it on my windowsill and the soil has already started to dry out a bit, though it's still moist when I touch it. I hope I can save it. I will get back to you all in about a week and tell you how it's doing. If there is any more advice out there, I (and my serissa) will be very grateful!

• barebum
    16 years ago

Woody,
    This regimen has worked for me over the years with my serissa. I fertilize with Miracle Grow every two weeks during the summer. One table spoon per gallon of water. On occasion I will feed a dose of Super Thrive. When the out side temp drops below 55F.,I bring it inside and keep it under a grow lamp 10 to 12 hours a day all winter,fertilizing once a month. Repot every two years in early spring,but don't prune roots too heavely. Prune leaf buds during summer to promote blooms. It is normal to see a few yellowing leaves on a healthy plant from time to time. Hope this works for you. Don.

• woody1710
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The bonsai fertilizer I have got is called Tokonoma bonsai food. On the bottle it says there is 4% nitrogen, 6% phosphorus pentoxide, and 6% potassium oxide. Would I be better off getting some miracle grow then or will that be okay? I used to have reptiles and I am sure I have still got a UV light somewhere in the house. Should I try and find it to use for my tree? We get hardly any sun here, it has been dull & grey for about 4 weeks now, so even on the windowsill it isn't getting any sunlight.

• woody1710
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have just been taking the last of the brown/black leaves off, now there is only about 12 leaves left on the whole tree, but I can see a tiny little fresh bud (really tiny), there is only one though. Hopefully it will grow some more buds. I am going to look for that light in a bit, so I should be able to put it over the tree today. The soil is drying out a bit more, I have just felt in the hole underneath and it's still just a tiny bit moist. Do I need to water or fertilize before I put the light over it? I read on another post on this website that you should use a humidity tray. Is this so for the serissa?

• barebum
    16 years ago

I think you will see better results with Miracle Grow. It has way more Nitrogen and will keep those leaves green. I have tried many fertilizers,but see better results with Miracle on my Serissa. If you are seeing new growth then its making a come back. I have never used a humidity tray, but live in South Central U.S. where humidity is not a problem. I could not get mine through winter without a grow light. If its not getting any direct sun,use the light. Keep it watered and let it come back before you fertilize again. Looks like you are on the right track.Good luck.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH