Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Dwarf Mugo Pine

ryan_tree
13 years ago

Hey all. I purchased this Dwarf Mugo Pine yesterday and immediately repotted it. I pruned off some bar branches, and some branches that would've caused bulges in the branches. I was also told to repot into turface (which I'm running low on), but after the pruning, should I really do that? I feel I have stressed this tree enough. I think the soil it is in now is fine. It just needs to grow more. Turface dries out too quickly anyway, and in the heat of the summer here in the NoVA area, it is pretty bad. Here is the tree, before and after removal of some branche:

Before:

{{gwi:11826}}

{{gwi:11827}}

After:

{{gwi:11828}}

{{gwi:11829}}

What do you all think?

Ryan

Comments (9)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

I think you lopped off some very important branches.

Al

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to disagree Al. They were just going to create bulges in the trunk. I left the others on as sacrifice branches.

13 years ago

So where is your trunk line then? From the pictures, it appears you've removed the logical first branch on the outside of a curve/bend in the trunk - unless I'm missing something.

Al

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do see what you are saying, but if I hadn't removed those branches they would've swelled and created ugly bulges in the trunk so they had to go.

13 years ago

Consider this: you left two branches from the whorl, and it will be very difficult to turn either of them into a usable branch. If you look at the first picture you posted, it seems you should have kept the branch in the middle as your leader and the branch on the left should have been pulled down to horizontal as your first branch. Ideally, unless it's a formal upright, your main trunk line wants to show movement away from the first branch and the first branch should come off the trunk horizontally or at a downward angle. You have no chance of that happening now unless you wait for the tree to backbud and hope for something usable to break. You still kept 2 branches from the whorl, I just think it would have been to the tree's advantage if you had retained a branch on the outside of the bend and a branch that was moving somewhat back toward the trunk.

If you look at the last picture, I would have kept the smallest branch on the left (the one you removed) and wired it horizontal, and I would have kept the smaller of the two branches you did keep, removing the larger branch. This would have given you the horizontal branch, movement in the trunk, and a leader that is still easily wireable.

We all see different things when we look at trees. I'm not criticizing your decision at all - it's your tree. ;o) I'm just discussing it like we would if you were at a meeting and asked the same question. You still have lots of options.

Something like this might be an interesting way to go:
    {{gwi:11830}}

Al

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Al! I know what you mean. Bad choice on my part. You're a lot more knowledgeable than me, so I will agree with you :)

I only wish I could do something like that. Please don't tell me thats yours, or I will be very jealous. I wouldn't even know where to begin to create a beautiful tree like that.

Thanks so much Al!

Ryan

• Joe52b
    9 years ago

Hi I am new in this forum. I have been given a 6 inch mugo pine trunk with some nice movement on the branches but no green or needles of any kind but it has lots of healthy roots. Can I get this to produce the green Again? At the moment it's in very good soil and it's been like so for 2 weeks. Thanks

• JimK1940
    9 years ago

Hi Joe52b, name here is Jim, not sure what the weather is like in Malta, but if possible you should plant this in the garden and let it grow if it will.
    With out needles it is not able to produce food for the roots or the rest of the plant.
    The needles may make a comeback and again maybe not.
    Good luck with your plant.

• vancewood
    9 years ago

If it has no needles it has no life. Pines can not be defoliated, whichj is essentially what has happened here, they need the foliage to fuel growth.

As to the Mugo that started this thread. Only time is going to tell what is going to happen. Mugos generally do better when repotted in Summer, the last of June through September.

This is one of my Mugos

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA