Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawks1282

Growing Moss on Bonsai

hawks1282
11 years ago

Hello,

I have a ficus bonsai in my office which has been doing very well. When I originally got it, there was a patch of moss growing underneath it in the pot, along with small stones. The original moss looked terrible (cats were involved), so I wanted to replace it with some from under a tree in my back yard.

I took some of the moss from my yard (some dirt still attached), and blended it with some buttermilk to create a paste. My question is can I apply this paste directly to the soil under the bonsai? As I understand it, the buttermilk provides acidity the moss needs to grow, but the ficus bonsai needs less acidic soil than the moss. For the moment, I spread the moss paste onto a piece of plastic ziplock bag on top of the bonsai soil to try to keep too much of the buttermilk from getting into the soil. (A large area of the bonsai soil is covered with small stones so water can get in and out). Should I move the paste directly on the soil, and can anyone tell me how long it will take for the moss to start growing?

Thanks

Comments (8)