Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Microcarpa brown leaf spot

Posted by jtuten none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 17:03

I have a Ficus Microcarpa that has developed a strange leaf spot that I can't identify. New leaves come in green, as you can see in the photo, but older leaves have either a series of spots or they start to turn brownish-yellow. I've trimmed some off but older leaves continue to degrade. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Microcarpa brown leaf spot

Weird! I wonder if it isn't some kind of natural mutation (or if someone else here would know otherwise). Are the spots smooth or raised? And are leaves dying off or just looking funny? Have you fertilized with ???

This post was edited by moochinka on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:39

o
RE: Ficus Microcarpa brown leaf spot

The spots are more like tiny dimples than smooth or raised. I've not fertilized it lately, but when I do I generally use a miracle grow water-based fertilizer. The leaves are not dying off and the plant seems remarkably healthy. I moved it to my office away from my other ficus bonsai at home and placed it under a full spectrum compact florescent lamp and it is covered with new growth, so I might just wait a week or two for it to full adjust to it's new home and trim the older, spotted leaves off. I also don't think it is a mutation as I have other bonsai that began as trimmings from this one that seem uninfected. But this guy was sitting on my balcony amongst many other ficus and none have developed this. Strange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here