Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taly4

Gardenia Bonsai problems

taly4
11 years ago

I am having trouble with my gardenia bonsai plant. I just got it in April as a gift. The info says that it is 4 years old. I have been watering it when the soil is dry and checking up on it but I encountered a problem. about a few days ago, I noticed the leaves being brown in the middle. Soon they started falling of and I had to remove some. There have been webs I have been wiping off and the leaves developed little brown and white spots. some of the tips even became black and crumpled. the other leaves are weak and have been falling off. its mostly towards the center. We have moved it to the table near a window but it usually stays in this space over+under a cupboard. What do I do?

Comment (1)

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    11 years ago

From what you described it sounds like first lack of light and consequently it is under stress. Related to it is that it is being over-watered causing root rot. Both are related though. If you can take it out of the pot to inspect the bottom portion. If you see black roots and/or unusual smell you need to chop the rotting roots. next you would need to put it in well draining mix. Look for one by tapla in this forum for a good soil mix. If the roots are white and look OK, move it to a better lit area. Remove the ailing leaves and mist lightly every day.

Gardenias like a lot of light. Outside will be ideal but you need to acclimatize it gradually. rain water will do it good too.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner