Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moyogijohn

larch care and info.

moyogijohn
13 years ago

I got a larch tree from my girl as a present..i like the looks of them as bonsai and have wanted to try one..i need to know proper care and about how they make limbs pruning ect... this one was nursery stock i cut it down washed the root system down,,all mud clay.planted in large pot no root pruning.have to do good with this one need information to take care and start it to devolep.has limbs at the bottom and top needle tuffs along the trunk.. help please sorry for long post..thanks john in west virginia

Comments (9)

• larke
    13 years ago

Not a long post at all, in fact it could have been a lot easier to read if you had not written practically in Morse code :-)! I imagine you know it has to live outdoors for life, hopefully near a pond or even a water feature of some kind because they like that. A picture of the cut down tree would be a huge help here. What did you plant it in (mix)?

• moyogijohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Larke for your reply. the tree is planted in turface and bark mix. i will try to get my daughter to post a picture...thanks john

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

You treat them more like a diciduous tree than a pine/conifer John. They like a well draining but moist mix, one that will stay damp but not wet. You can also pinch buds/tips after the first flush in the spring to get shorter needles. Dug a ton of them in the abandoned strip mines of Pa over the years and had some pretty good success.
    Keith Scott should still have 3 we worked on in the mid-90's for a demo.

Bob

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

You treat them more like a diciduous tree than a pine/conifer John. They like a well draining but moist mix, one that will stay damp but not wet. You can also pinch buds/tips after the first flush in the spring to get shorter needles. Dug a ton of them in the abandoned strip mines of Pa over the years and had some pretty good success.

Bob

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Bob

• moyogijohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you head cutter,,, I need all the info i can get. you said pinch buds what part the center and when?? i really like the looks of these trees but i am stumped with its care.. how are your trees doing now and your new wife not in that order sorry??thanks send more info.if you have time..john

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Sorry about the multiple posts but I was being told that the post was being rejected.

Bob

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

John, you can get a wealth of Larch culture info by googling 'larch bonsai' as well as an abundance of pics to give you some ideas.
    The 2 water jasmine were over-stressed while I was away and have both gone to greener pastures...I haven't been around much because we now have power outages 3 days a week, back and forth to Sgn finishing up things with the endless paperwork for the marriage and, at the same time, recovering from a pretty bad motorbike accident. The result of the accident has left me unable to type most days.

Bob

• moyogijohn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bob sorry about the accident hope you get better soon.. not good that you lost the trees either. maybe you can finish up with all the paper work soon get back to a every day thing am going to try and get my daughter to post the tree for me..get better soon thank you john

Sponsored