Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ara133

Turkish & Serbian Pine bonsai on balcony over winter?

ara133
14 years ago

Hey all! I've been reading quite a bit online about overwintering pine bonsai and I'm finding lots of contradictory info... from putting them in a cool sunny window, to putting them (in their pots) in larger pots filled with styrofoam peanuts and covered with white cloth... So I wanted to check with y'all to see what you recommend!

I have 2 new pine trees from my university (they were giving a few away for free, yay!) - one is Serbian pine and the other is a Turkish pine.

I'm in an apartment, so I don't have a cold greenhouse or garage, and I can't put them in the ground to overwinter. That's why I'm starting my research early!! :)

I have a balcony which is open to the outside but has a roof. The apartment never gets below maybe 60-65 deg in winter, even when we don't use the heat.

So - should I keep the trees (which are maybe 1' tall, which I guess is slightly large for bonsai but I'm determined!) in their pots on the balcony when winter comes? And maybe put the pots in some kind of giant pot and fill it with foam peanuts? That doesn't seem like it would be that insulating...?

I'd love any advice you can give me! Thanks a bunch!! :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio