Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstone

Can you identify this bonsai plant?

dragonstone
15 years ago

Hello! I don't have the slightest clue about bonsai trees but I guess I got nudged into it all, seeing as how I got this on my birthday back on the 1st.

All it says on the tag is "Bonsai". Can anyone figure out what kind of tree it is?

{{gwi:12311}}

{{gwi:12312}}

{{gwi:12313}}

Any help is very much appreciated! :)

Comments (10)

• lucy
    15 years ago

It's a Ficus, probably ginseng or some other similar variety. BTW, don't think of it as a 'bonsai' tree, but as a tree, period. What type of 'tree' is this... not what type of bonsai - if you get what I mean. Bonsai is a technique used on trees, not an end in itself. All just part of being part of the silly obsession!

• mawehe63
    15 years ago

its a ginseng ficus its a tropical variety but it does look like u have some mildew on the leaves so keep it in a well vantilated dry area and wipe the leaves regulary until it goes away if nit it will kill the tree good luck its a great tree and yours looks great for its variety good luck

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you two for your help!

• lucy
    15 years ago

I don't think that white stuff is mildew (though it is important to keep the soil relatively dry, but the humidity otherwise fairly high for ficus). I think it's just staining from a high mineral content in the water sprayed on plants in the nursery. Mildew looks a bit different.

• moyogijohn
    15 years ago

I ,to believe it is ginseng ficus.no one said to get those rocks off so the roots can breath!!!! watch your watering the trunk holds water so do not rot the roots with too much water.. i did that with the same kind. good luck john

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Agreed, the white stuff is simply mineral residue, from the water (as Lucy said).

As long as the rocks aren't "glued" in place, there's no need to remove them. I think no one's mentioned it because we're all assuming the rocks are loose.

Josh

• bubbafrga
    15 years ago

I think the rocks are glued on....I got one of these from my stepson as a B-day present that he got from Wally World. The rocks do need to be removed and if it has the same soil that the one i got it needs to be repotted...soil was almost peat moss.....

15 years ago

Maybe so. We'll have to wait for Dragonstone's return before we'll know the answer.

Josh

• dragonstone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. I am completely embarrassed. I had no idea there were more posts after Lucy's on the 5th of June.

This is what it looks like today:

{{gwi:12314}}

I've been thinking more and more on the idea of re-potting this tree so I hunted this thread down to remember what it was identified as. I remember ficus but I just wasn't sure what kind of ficus! Now I know - again. hehe.

And yeah, you can tell by the picture that the stones are glued on. They're slowly being pushed outwards a bit as the tree grows. I never bothered to remove them because I didn't think it'd cause much harm.

12 years ago

Well, heck, welcome back! ;-)

When I post a Thread, I check the "notify of updates by e-mail" option, but that feature
    is spotty at best. I haven't received notifications for quite some time.

An alternate method is simply to "clip" the first post, and then you can go through those later.

Google is usually pretty good at finding GardenWeb posts with your username and even just a
    partial Thread title. Far more efficient than the GardenWeb site search.

Oh, and now that we know, you might as well remove those rocks ;-)

Josh

Sponsored