Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save my Juniper Bonsai?

Posted by Monicaly none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:17

I bought my juniper bonsai around Christmas time, and I didn't realize it had spider mites. The infestation got pretty bad, and there were cobwebs growing on the plant. I got an insecticide, and I think I got rid of the mites, but I'm not sure. There were no more cobwebs, but the tree hasn't really bounced back. I haven't treated it for mites in a few months, but maybe they are still there? I am not sure how to tell. It still looks dead in many places, but seems to have 2 fairly healthy branches. The picture I included makes it look a little healthier than it actually is. The leaves are slightly less green in real life.
It was 10 years old when I got it, and I've had it for about 6 months. I water it every other day by pouring water on the soil. The pot sits on a tray, and I used to let the water run into the tray and leave it there, but now I dump the water out immediately. Maybe there is a problem with root rot? It sits on the coffee table in my living room, and gets indirect sunlight there.
Is there anything I can do to save this tree? Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save my Juniper Bonsai?

This picture is a close-up of what the leaves look like. The perspective is from the top looking down.

o

Looks pretty bad. Has it been indoors this whole time?
Juniper is an outdoor tree exclusively.

Josh

o

If you are watering as you said, every other day, never mind being indoors and in what looks like potting soil, your tree has probably been dead a long time. Such trees may stay 'green' for a long time as well, but that doesn't mean they're alive. If the foliage is hard, inflexible, and breaks off when handled, it's dead.

o

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that moving the tree outdoors would be a curative. Just pointing out what most likely killed it :-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here