Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorsi_gw

Rescued Trees

acorsi
13 years ago

I was with my dad today and went to visit one of his oldest and dearest friends today. After chatting a bit in the back yard he asked me if i still play with the little trees and if i would like a few trees he had behind his garage that her bought about 5 or 6 years earlier. The first is a Boulevard Cypress and i only know this due to the marker tag in the pot. Not sure if it is! The tree is so root bound I have no idea what the nebari looks like or even the bace of the trunk due to the extreme growth of the surface roots. What is the best way to clear the surface roots and get to the base of the tree with minimal damage or stress?

Thanks in advance,

Angelo

cypress front.jpg

Comment (1)

• larke
    13 years ago

What you need to do is called slip potting. It's the wrong time of year to repot in the sense of doing anything with the roots, or even changing the soil, but if you take the whole thing out of the pot, and get it in one a size larger (this is until next March when you will repot properly and do the roots, etc.) then fill in all around with new soil (gritty) so the roots at least have somewhere to go for now. Don't mess too much looking at the nebari until you can look at the rest of it properly - you don't want to tear up all the new growth on top until you know what the rest looks like - you might want those surface roots in the end.

Sponsored