Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacobgayer

Sealed bonsai suggestions

jacobgayer
9 years ago

I want to plant a bonsai in a bottle garden type environment indoors. I am wondering if there is a type of bonsai (if healthy) that drops little or no leaves to help minimize the decomposition inside the sealed environment. I'm considering growing and shaping it to full size first. Or not shaping or pruning it at all. Please any insight or suggestions would be very helpful.

Comments (8)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Leaf drop is a function of problems (or natural progress) with almost any tree or plant and only by growing in ideal conditions and having the luck of a genetically very healthy individual plant could no leaf drop be guaranteed... and I don't know any way to do that. Certain tropicals might do less badly in a sealed bottle than others, but your skill, the environment in the bottle and the individual plant will decide how it does, and no one has a crystal ball. I think such things are gimmicks and cute experiments, but also that the environments are unnatural (maybe just projecting some claustrophobia here) and because others have managed to keep them alive doesn't mean they're desirable (to me, anyhow).

• jacobgayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know leafs dropping are part of nature. For example a maple drops much more then an evergreen (which bonsai type drops the least) I have built these self contained environment before (tropical plants). Tropical plants are easiest because they are hard to overwater though you can do the same thing with cacti. The tree will not actually be in a bottle. Just the "bottle garden style" it will actually be placed inside a 4x2x3 coffee table. Zen garden sand, moss, and a bonsai for the center piece. I can take the lid off if needed but the goal is to not remove the lid unless needed. All I am wondering is if anyone has suggestions on which type of bonsais drop the least amount of leaves as well as do the best without maintenance.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

You don't get it - there is no such thing and plants respond to a lot of factors we're not even aware of. Why not be reckless and try a cheapo little something and see how it goes? At least by experimenting you'll be learning (hopefully) from observation. Keep one thing in mind - the tree will continue to put out roots, if slowly, over time and either it'll take over the jar or you'll have to go in, root prune and (likely) branch prune... and that will involve uprooting it.

This post was edited by moochinka on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 6:59

• jacobgayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moo... Get off my thread I wanted basic advice on a specific question not to be harassed by a simpleton that's to narrow minded to comprehend a basic design. Did I ask for root advice? No! the roots will be contained in a small bonsai pot obviously. And for your "your don't get it there is no such thing" there is such a thing as a bonsai under three feet and there is such a thing as a tree that drops LESS leaves then some other species! Furthermore as I said before I can take the lid off and prune if critically needed and some leaves dropping is ok as I will use natural charcoal on top of the lower level of sand to help with the decomposing of the leaves. I am not looking for help with the design , concept, T5 lighting, or anything other then recommendations on types of bonsai. I repeat MOO please don't post on my thread and go bother someone else.

• moochinka
    9 years ago

You're psychotic, or more likely 5, so keep your b-s to yourself! You asked for help, I gave it (many decades of knowledge behind it) and all you have to do is say thanks for the additions... or ignore it, but your nasty mouth is not welcome!

• jacobgayer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup I'm 5! I knew you wouldn't go away because your pathetic thanks for ruining my experience with this site I'm done here good luck finding someone else to annoy

• moochinka
    9 years ago

You might be happier with plastic trees and flowers.

• Becky McManus
    7 years ago

I would suggest some kind of fir tree. I too would like to experiment with growing a tree in a closed environment.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer