Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip711

Juniper Dead Dying or what

kevip711
17 years ago

I am on my second Juniper.. First one I kept inside and it died. Next one, twice the size and I kept outdoors. It looks green but all the leaves and branches are brittle and breaking off.. It gets plenty of water and sun so not sure what else to do with it. It sits next to a Elm and Pony Tail and those are doing fine.. Anything special I need to do for the Juniper or any test I can give it to tell if its a doomed...

Here is a link that might be useful: My pics

Comments (12)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

Is it geting too much water?

• lucy
    17 years ago

Hi Kevin, long time no see... Just wondering, I know you said you put the second juniper outside, but from the looks of it, either it's a third tree, or it is inside. I know you have a really special garden/pond, etc., and wonder why all your trees aren't out there now anyhow. Again, with juns, it may be a watering issue, hard and breaking aren't good signs. What's the soil mix like? How fast does it really drain - almost instantly, or kinda-in-a-while? Are you watering .. because you think it 'must be time' (that's hard to get over :-) or because you're pretty sure it actually needs a drink? Nice pots, BTW!

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Kevin

If the needles are brittle and break or crumble when touched, that part of the plant is dead. If the whole plant is doing that, it's dead.

randy

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not the whole plant is brittle but its getting close.. The water doesnt drain right away it holds in the pot for a while.. I dont think I am watering to much.. outside temps are in the upper 90's in the afternoon. It gets direct sun from morning till about 2pm everyday so it dries up pretty fast.. Not sure what to do.. maybe give up and get a different breed of bonsai.. the Elm is the one that almost died before Lucy..

• lucy
    17 years ago

Is the pot protected by something reflective so roots are cooking? If the water's not running right through it, it definitely needs a repot into something else, with lots of gravelly grit - pumice, lava rock crushed, perlite (unattractive as it may be for now), and some small sized fir bark.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was potted by the bonsai place.. the roots are probably cooking as the other pots are kinda reflective, this pot is terra cotta.. or I just cant grow Junipers.. also that Sago I thought I killed.. its still alive too. I planted it behind my waterfall in my yard and it sprouted new fronds not long ago.. so looks like the only thing I seem to kill are junipers.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Significant browning today, he's dead.. not sure what I could of done different.. done with Junipers, will get something else..

• lucy
    17 years ago

Sorry Kev! I'm like that with some things too, stupid ordinary house plants, so I just stop bothering with them and move on. You're good with lots of others though, so don't take it personally :0)!

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got a F Tea as a replacement... if you want to see him he is on my site, I also put a reed backing on the house to maybe it wont cook that much there.. having photo'd that yet..

Here is a link that might be useful: Newest bonsai

• lucy
    17 years ago

Cute! Keep it well watered there!

• liz_44
    17 years ago

i have a juniper bonsai, too. I'm a new owner. it has dry brittle light green/yellow bristles. i recently moved it from a south facing room to an east facing room- slightly away from the window. i think it was fried by the sun. should i remove and cut away the dead parts to allow the live parts to be nourished better?
    thanks!

• lucy
    17 years ago

Liz, unless most of your tree is a good green color and flexible when you bend it, or to put it another way - if more of the tree is brittle and yellow than less of it, it's probably been dead for some time, as junipers don't actually look dead (all over) until they've been gone a while. It should have been put outside as they won't live indoors anyway, and has probably been watered like a houseplant - way too often. If pebbles were glued to the surface they should have been pried off right away, and the soil it came in should have been changed to much gritty peat-less stuff that drains right away as the trees are sensitive to any water that isn't just a free flowing drink that drains right away (and the pot should never sit in drain water as roots rot). If this all sounds familiar (or any of it), the answer should be in there somewhere.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting