Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_harbeck

Port Wine Magnolia

Adam Harbeck
15 years ago

Has anybody tried to grow the Port Wine Magnolia (Michelia figo) as a bonsai specimen?

Adam

Comments (8)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Guess not... good luck.

• ankraras
    15 years ago

I am a hobbyist who is currently trying two. They are wee bitty still!

It's such a very happy plant, so pretty, they have been growing with vitality and are undemanding.

{{gwi:7760}}

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ankraras, how are you growing yours? Did you root prune before planting/wiring? Would you reccomend a larger/deeper pot to start out?

Michelias are one of my favourite plants. I have 4 growing in large tubs but thought it might be interesting to try as a bonsai. I read that they hate root disturbance. I'll have to look out for a young one to start with.

Adam

• ankraras
    15 years ago

Hi;- I started mine from cuttings planted in 4" square containers. I did nothing when transplanting them into 6" containers after they took root and appeared to be satisfactorily growing. When I transplanted them into the present container, shown in the pics, I did trim off the largest/longest roots. They didn't show any signs of suffering from this that I could notice. I do have a few 7 gallon plastic containers on hand that I intend to transplant them into next year.

As far as wiring goes, they have been recently wired due to those branches that were just headed straight for the friendly sky. lol. At the same time I took the opportunity to add a little bit of movement to that stick trunk. I think this type of tree should have a feminist appearance but that is just my own personal opinion of course.

I am delighted to hear that you like Michelia. I grew up with several world most favorite Tonchumpee and Tonchumpa growing in front of our home. The extreme heat during the summer months and cold weather during the winter where I am now has proven to provide totally different cultural conditions. After the loss of several specimen, I didn't have the nerve to pick up and try again until just the last several years.

Sounds to me like you already have 4 nice large ones. If you would like to share the photos with us please feel free to do so!

Happy Growing!

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ankraras,

I currently have 2 M. figo, 1 M. figo "Lady of the Night" and one M. "Coco". Of these, "coco" is my absolute favourite. It has the strongest, most beautiful smell of ripe bananas and lovely pale yellow blossoms. My plants were growing in my greenhouse but were getting too much shade and growing leggy so I have cut them back and put them outside under the shade of a gum tree. Hopefully I will get more flowers in spring.I have tried growing them in the ground but the soilds here are too sandy and our summers are too hot and dry so pot culture seems the best option. After seeing M. champaka and M. alba growing in Hong Kong and Singapore I have asked several nurseries to order them in for me but none have been able (or bothered) to. Hopefully I will get one one day. Do you know if M. yunnanensis is very fragrant?

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have just started my first Michelia Bonsai. I found a M. figo at Bunning's that had 3 plants in the same pot. I am going to try for a grove type display with the plants growing out from the same point. I have used bamboo stakes to ry and encourage the "branches" to spread out.

While I was at it I got another M. coco which is covered in buds. Hopefully I will have flowers and pics soon.

Adam

• brogus2311_live_com_au
    13 years ago

I dug a large (24cm dia trunk) one of these during August & because of its location couldnt get much root at all. It was cut back hard at the same time. It took a wee while to shoot but has taken off since with new growth now over 50cm long.

I intend growing it as a bonsai if I can ever work out how to bend the thick multiple trunks. the new growth has very long internodes so this will need attention if it doesnt reduce after a few years.

Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Ausbonsai.com Michelia figo thread

• gertrude257_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Never heard of that one. But, I also just started getting interested into bonsai, I think I'm leaning towards the Ficus Benjamina.

Here is a link that might be useful: buybonsai

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio