Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ca_jeff

beginner bonsai

ca_jeff
16 years ago

Hi All,

I just returned from a trip to china, whereupon I saw A LOT of very old bonsai. This has inspired me to try my hand at it myself.

I know from various readings, that bonsai is not a "hobby flavor of the month" deal, but I am starting to develop a strong love for gardening around the house, and would really like to experiment w/ bonsai, to at least give it a shot.

for starters, I've picked up 2 japanese boxwood plants (1 gal pots) from the local home depot. I've planted 1 of them into the ground, and another one which I planted in a 2 gal pot (because the old pot had tears and such, and also the roots were starting to clump pretty heavily within the 1 gal pot).

I've also wrapped some copper wire around some branches simply to experiment w/ what the branches can do, and to what extent the branches can be manipulated. The intent is that I'll eventually do a trunk cut once the main trunk reaches ~1.5 inches, so the experimentation shouldn't effect the long term goals.

anyways, I'm reading up as much as I can on whatever aspect I happen to stumble upon... BUT, as I've learned from everything else in life, nothing prepares you better than hands-on experience.

that said, are there things that are crucial to the initial development stages of a bonsai that I may have missed? what are some things I can do to better prepare myself and my potential bonsais for a more successful future?

thanks,

Jeff

Comments (5)

Sponsored