Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Pumice - NAPA #8822

paul3636
11 years ago

I wanted to make a planting medium of 1 part pine bark, 1 part red lava, and 1 part pumice.

I have not been able to find pumice and would like to substitute Napa #8822 because it is readily available.

Is there any reason this shouldn't be done Or if anyone has used it as a substitute for pumice what kind of results can be expected????

Paul

Comments (2)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Many people use it as a substitute for Turface in what everyone refers to as 'the gritty mix', which is what I use for bonsai soil. It's pH neutral and holds more water than Turface, so it holds a lot more water than pumice. I'd be sure to screen it over insect screen to remove the fines, and I'd screen the PB to >1/8 but If you want a suggestion for a starting point, I'm thinking

3 screened bark
    2-3 screened #8822
    4 screened lava

should work well if the lava is close in size to the #8822. Remember your soil is essentially devoid of nutrients, so ensuring your plants get all the essential elements plants normally get from the soil IS essential. Sorry if you knew all this. If so, maybe others will gain from the conversation.

Al

• paul3636
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al.

Always look forward for your help.

Paul