Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Willow Bonsai

Posted by normcrocker Tennessee (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 12:29

I have a dwarf Japanese weeping willow. The leaves are starting to turn yellow with black on the tips. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Willow Bonsai

It sounds like the roots are rotting from staying wet all the time - the soil's probably much too 'heavy', either mostly peat, or some tropical potting soil, with no grit in it to drain right away when water's given (and the pot should never sit in a saucer of drain water). Now it needs to come out of the pot, have all the soil removed (washed off), be potted in new soil which is not peat, or 'potting soil' (or garden soil), but in a mix (a nursery can help you make it up) with coarse particles, rather than fine, and a bunch of grit (small aquarium gravel is good) mixed in. Then it needs a fungicidal drench (follow label instructions) for house plants, rather than for 'trees', and then it needs to be kept outdoors - the only place it will survive long term, though in a slightly shady spot where you live. Don't use a bottom layer of anything in the pot - it should be all one 'mix' throughout. Water when 1/8 to 1/4 of the soil has dried, or even more often if it runs through to the drain hole right away (within a few seconds) and out the holes. Do cut away and throw away any black or slimy roots when you repot, and do discard any black leaves. It must have been getting wet all day long (and/or sitting in muddy soil) til now - you almost never hear of a willow not being able to handle water well.

o

Thanks, I'll do it.

Norm

o

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 20:38

Never heard of a Japanese weeping willow. Most willows will grow in water.

randy

o

Randy,

It grows about 8 feet high if left alone with varigated leaves and red twigs.

o

• Posted by rjj1 Norman OK Zone7 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 22:09

I've heard of the japanese willow, not of a japanese weeping willow. Isn't that an upright grower?

randy

o

There's 'Weeping Willow' Japanese Maple. (?) Wonder if that might be a possibility.

o

It's a true willow which grows upright with drooping branches. A very pretty tree as a bonsai. Mine is doing quite well today.

o
Japanese Dwarf Weeping Willow

The correct name is Salix Integra Hakuro Nishiki. I actually won mine as a door prize my first visit to the Nashville Bonsai Society. They are sometimes available from online nurseries. May I announce the next Bonsai show? July 29 & 30 we're participating in a multi-club show at Middle State University in Murfreesboro. Warren Hill is our guest expert. The show will be in the student center and all are welcome. Just take the highway 96 exit and follow the signs to MTSU.

Norm

o

Mine was doing the same so I put it in a warmer room and increased watering to about 2 cups every 4th day. I also aerated the soil slightly. It started sprouting within days.

o

Winkle - it can't live indoors, but not knowing where you live I can't advise you to put it out either, as the shock (of winter) could kill it. After the last frost of the season has passed (April/May depending where you are) get it outdoors for good - it's quite hardy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here