Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normcrocker

Weeping Willow Bonsai

normcrocker
17 years ago

I have a dwarf Japanese weeping willow. The leaves are starting to turn yellow with black on the tips. What should I do?

Comments (10)

• lucy
    17 years ago

It sounds like the roots are rotting from staying wet all the time - the soil's probably much too 'heavy', either mostly peat, or some tropical potting soil, with no grit in it to drain right away when water's given (and the pot should never sit in a saucer of drain water). Now it needs to come out of the pot, have all the soil removed (washed off), be potted in new soil which is not peat, or 'potting soil' (or garden soil), but in a mix (a nursery can help you make it up) with coarse particles, rather than fine, and a bunch of grit (small aquarium gravel is good) mixed in. Then it needs a fungicidal drench (follow label instructions) for house plants, rather than for 'trees', and then it needs to be kept outdoors - the only place it will survive long term, though in a slightly shady spot where you live. Don't use a bottom layer of anything in the pot - it should be all one 'mix' throughout. Water when 1/8 to 1/4 of the soil has dried, or even more often if it runs through to the drain hole right away (within a few seconds) and out the holes. Do cut away and throw away any black or slimy roots when you repot, and do discard any black leaves. It must have been getting wet all day long (and/or sitting in muddy soil) til now - you almost never hear of a willow not being able to handle water well.

• normcrocker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I'll do it.

Norm

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Never heard of a Japanese weeping willow. Most willows will grow in water.

randy

• normcrocker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Randy,

It grows about 8 feet high if left alone with varigated leaves and red twigs.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

I've heard of the japanese willow, not of a japanese weeping willow. Isn't that an upright grower?

randy

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

There's 'Weeping Willow' Japanese Maple. (?) Wonder if that might be a possibility.

• normcrocker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's a true willow which grows upright with drooping branches. A very pretty tree as a bonsai. Mine is doing quite well today.

• normcrocker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The correct name is Salix Integra Hakuro Nishiki. I actually won mine as a door prize my first visit to the Nashville Bonsai Society. They are sometimes available from online nurseries. May I announce the next Bonsai show? July 29 & 30 we're participating in a multi-club show at Middle State University in Murfreesboro. Warren Hill is our guest expert. The show will be in the student center and all are welcome. Just take the highway 96 exit and follow the signs to MTSU.

Norm

• aaronnepean_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

Mine was doing the same so I put it in a warmer room and increased watering to about 2 cups every 4th day. I also aerated the soil slightly. It started sprouting within days.

• lucy
    17 years ago

Winkle - it can't live indoors, but not knowing where you live I can't advise you to put it out either, as the shock (of winter) could kill it. After the last frost of the season has passed (April/May depending where you are) get it outdoors for good - it's quite hardy.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner