Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus bonsai dropped all its leaves & branches?

Posted by organic_michael_13 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 14:13

I bought a Ficus Microcarpa bonsai last year that was very healthy and had deep green leaves. It has been growing well for a long time. I went on holiday for a week and thought it could take care of itself - but when I came home, every single leaf was dead! I thought the branches were dead so I cut them off, but they were still alive!
I couldn't believe it!

It was in a room at the back of the house where it gets enough light. I moved it to the greenhouse to get more sun and be warm. There is only the trunk left, I scratched it to see if it was green and it is. I water it once a week and the soil is always moist. It was still moist when I came home.
It doesn't have any ariel roots.
It was twice as big as it is now.

Is there any way to get my Ficus to grow it's branches back again? Maybe grafting a Ficus Benjamina on the Microcarpa might work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus bonsai dropped all its leaves & branches?

Wait - it'll either do it all by itself (but take weeks/months) which is most likely, or it won't do it. It's genetic and while it's one thing to try and encourage one to grow in a particular place, or graft one on, you're talking about a whole tree and either of those choices will not really look so hot if done in more than one place. Can you get another tree? You might try cutting yours down - that often will encourage new growth, but whether you get branches or just more leaves is hard to say. I'd do it because of 'nothing to lose' at this point.

o
RE: Ficus bonsai dropped all its leaves & branches?

I can't get another tree - it isn't available. It is only the trunk with no branches, it looks like a rock. It is only a few cms tall and there is nothing left to cut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here