Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simsedward

'Repotting'

simsedward
13 years ago

I have a trident maple that I have wired and it has begun to grow a great deal. Now that the tree is filling in, it looks better from one of the sides than it does from the front. I am thinking of moving the tree about 45 degrees in its pot. I am not trimming any roots or even getting a new pot. Do you think this will harm the tree at this point in the season?

Comments (4)

• larke
    13 years ago

Can you lift the whole rootball as one piece that doesn't crumble? How about turning the pot's other side toward the sun for a while?

• moyogijohn
    13 years ago

How big is the tree??does the roots fill the pot? There is a term called slip potting but that would be changing pots.. if you have to do this i would take the tree in a cool place no sun shineing on it carefully loosen the soil all around ease the tree around where you want it.water well and keep it out of the sun for a while watch for new growth then ease it back to sun..be very careful not to break the roots good luck john

• simsedward
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I can move the whole rootball easily. I will try this in the garage tomorrow and then keep the tree in the shade for a few days.

• simsedward
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everything went well...nice cloudy day here too. Thanks for the tips.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts