Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaijack

Seeking new ideas on layering (see my post on propogation)

bonsaijack
18 years ago

Anyone have new ideas on layering, for root enhancement, prior to collecting of wild growing junipers, that will keep rooting media moist, naturally, over about three months time, perhaps via separate "feeder water bottle?"

See my post on this, under "propogation."

Comments (5)

• tim_moose
    18 years ago

A topic I've always mused about.

How would manage an air layer on a tree in a remote location.

I saw an idea at a garden show a couple of months back which is being marketed in the UK to deal with long term watering of hanging baskets. Had a TV spot allegedly as well. (right off QVC probably:-)

Based on the same principle as drip feeders I guess.

Consists of a slim, porous terracotta pot - around standard paper cup size but narrower and a spherical glass vessel with a tube neck like a chemisty lab boiling flask (see pic at the bottom of this page) which is probably what it is.

http://www.labdepotinc.com/Category_Details~id~330.aspx

You bury the terracotta pot in your hanging basket (or air layer pot) fill the round flask with water then up end into the terracotta pot.

The little pot fills with water and the spherical nature of the upended flask plus some upthrust/ downthrust and a bit of gravity seals it off.

I guess you have a bit of downward pressure on the water and a porous pot so water passes through the pot very slowly.

As the level drops the glass flask keeps it topped up and some sort of pressure equilibrium state is no doubt achieved. Boyles Law? (physics and fluid dynamics is not my strong point)

It is claimed that the roots grow towards and around the little terracotta pot and that it can last up to 4 weeks depending on the size of unit you use.

Trouble is I can't remember what it was called and a bit of net searching doesn't find it either.

I would think an upended plastic bottle could do the same and there's some ideas on this site which must have counterparts in the USA.

http://www.garden-innovations.co.uk/index.html

Disclaimer: I have no commercial involvement with any of the products referred to in this reply. Only wishing to assist.

• mark_rockwell
    18 years ago

Black plastic sheeting. Sphagnum moss. Sealed.

Experienced collectors of old pines in deserts and dry areas here in the U.S. often use clear plastic baggies on to-be-collected stock by simply placing the bag with moist sphagnum moss. Exposing the bag to sun. The resulting heat and humidity supposedly forces plants like Ponderosa pine and juniper to produce a bundle of feeder roots in a few months. Since most of these trees are in extremely remote locations, watering the bags is impractical, if not impossible.

• Cipher_20
    18 years ago

By keeping the bag sealed there shouldn't be much moisture loss, but if it is a problem, then maybe the environment can be your solution. Rain collection devices can be made to drip feed into a sealed moss bag. If rain is not plentiful enough to design something around that concept, then you might look into making something that could use water collected by condensation to drip into the moss bag.

A survival trick that I have used in the past is to take a plastic bag and wrap it around some very green foliage on a tree. Make sure that one corner on the bag sits lower than the rest. As the leaves in the bag lose water through transpiration, it will collect in the bottom of the bag. I've only used it to get drinking water, but I'm sure if you're creative you could get a good system for keeping root layerings wet. It works best with broad leafed trees, but it might even work by collecting the water transpired by the juniper you intend to collect.

My last idea of the day is to set up a version of a solar still. Basically it is an impermeable sheet (plastic) set up over a hole in the ground. Secure the edges around the hole and put a small rock in the center on top to make the center dip down. As water evaporates out of the hole it will condense on the sheet, run to the low center and drip to where it can be collected for use. That might be a harder system to use since the water would be below the level of the ground to begin with and you would have to find a good way to transport it up to where you are root layering.

• tylerrox
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm tyler and i'm not quite a beginner but not quite an expert on bonsai, but i definitely am not smart. i bought what i thought was coded copper wire for my bonsais but it was some cheep knock off an now it's leaving an orange residue on my plants, is there anything i can do or are my plants going to die.
    Please it's ergent!!!!!!!!!!!

• lucy
    16 years ago

Why don't you find out what the stuff is by either calling the company (do you still have the package?) that produces it, or at least seeing if the store mgr where you got it has any idea? If you can't find out, I wouldn't worry a lot anyway though, as topical (exterior) marks of coatings on the trees are not likely to do much damage - have you tried to wipe it off with anything such as vinegar, diluted bleach, etc? If you do see a serious reaction, it may still only be localized and self-limiting, but if your trees actually deteriorate as a result, you'll have learned a hard lesson. Was it sold as bonsai wire, or just copper wire in the hardware, or what?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus