Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New wisteria! Need advice

Posted by 3dme none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:31

Hi all,

I'm new to wisteria and bonsai in general. I bit the bullet today and purchased a Wisteria Macrostachya "Blue Moon", attached is a picture of my pre-bonsai specimen!

I live in zone 8, what should I do (if anything) to prune this guy back? I want to thicken up the trunk but I fear putting it in the ground. Could I repot it into a large pot? Would this encourage trunk growth?

It's interesting, on the end of the longest growth, it almost looked like the plant had flowered recently although I can't be sure as I don't know what that would look like. There are a bunch of protrusions that looked like there should have been flowers there. Who knows, maybe it hasn't flowered and it will soon? I can provide a picture soon!

Also, if anyone has any general advice on wisteria bonsai, I would greatly appreciate any advice given.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New wisteria! Need advice

• Posted by 3dme none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 16:36

Here is the tip that I'm curious of whether it has flowered or will flower soon!

o

Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:54

Bump

o

Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 0:26

Bump? Anyone able to help me out?

o

Yes the picture you posted is that of a spent flower stalk - Plant in a large container that will give the roots plenty of room to extend for several years and place the container in partial shade. This allows the trunk and branches of the wisteria to get thick. When the wisteria is older and thickened move to a traditional bonsai pot
Usually you can be quite severe with pruning with most varieties - not sure about the one you have though

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here