Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Ligustrum? :-( Please help!

Posted by zcollins234 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 17:03

Hello!
I'm very new to bonsai keeping and I really loved my it so I am hoping someone can help me to make it better!
I was given a Ligustrum Bonsai for Christmas 2013. It was in ok condition...
Recently, it has started losing almost all of its leaves. It is well watered and sits in sunlight in my dining room at table height (South East UK).
It doesn't appear to be overly healthy... It also has these white specs appearing all over the trunk, which I have really struggled to find out what these are (pictures faintly show).
I have immersed it in water and also used bonsai feed to help.
If you wobble the trunk, it rocks slightly in its roots, but i'm not sure if this is due to rotting or if it needs replanting.
I'm reluctant to put the bonsai outside and I worried it may kill it for good.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows what this is, please, please, please, help me! If you need any more information please just ask :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Ligustrum? :-( Please help!

White specks.

o

Not an expert but think you have some sort of insect infestation like aphids, sooty mold,.... I dunno. Can you wipe that white stuff off? Is it sticky?

o

I think you've drowned the heck out of it... not sure if there's any hope at this point. It may be a good idea to learn all you can about a particular tree and how to grow it before spending... I know it's hard to resist some in the stores, but if you can at least run home after looking, and do a bit of research, you'll have some idea if your growing conditions (location, light availability, etc. ) are going to work for that tree - then go back and buy it.

o

Hi Winterfell,
It's not sticky but you can wipe it off. Feels slightly powdery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here