Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Olive bonsai with dried leaves

Posted by bonsai.killer (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 18:12

I bought an olive bonsai - it has long pointy leaves - about two months ago. It had beautiful dark green leaves with grey undersides. Now the leaves are brown and a bit crispy. The plant came with watering instructions (a little every other day), but nothing as to light and temperature requirements. Thanks for any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Olive bonsai with dried leaves

Hi - More sun than you can imagine (unless you're in the deep south), but water far less often (it can almost just about dry out) then do it quite slowly, over and over til all the soil is slaked, and let it drain well in the sink. Also see if you can provide good humidity. Try a clear plastic bag over it for a week or so - but out of direct sun unless you leave the bag bottom open (too much condensation will cause trouble). It's also best to add lots of grit and small gravel to the mix when you repot - the less peaty potting soil the better.

o
RE: Help! Olive bonsai with dried leaves

I have an Olive tree that I trained from a 5 gal can back in 1979. I am in California but I find that Olives don't need to be babied. Yes they will lose leaves and sprout new ones. You can kill it with kindness. Don't forget they grow in the deserts of Israel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here