Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In door bonsai from seed? - ID?

Posted by paul3636 6a Ma. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 18:18

While at Disney World in FL I saw a nice tree that could have been a crab apple tree by it's shape but it had long flat dry fruit about 10" to 14" long, like a very long but flat string bean. I picked one and it was so dry it fell apart. The pieces were picked up and planted in a pot when I arrived in eastern MA. That was a week ago and the seeds are already sprouting. If any one can ID it please tell me how to care for it especialy in winter?
And no I don't have a photo. I wasn,t smart enough and really didn't think the seeds would take.
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In door bonsai from seed? - ID?

The 1st true leaves look like small hornbeam leaves?
I'll wait for the leaves to mature or for the next set of leaves before taking a picture.
Paul

o

If they have compund leaves when they get bigger, they are texas ebony trees. Care for them like any other indoor/tropical bonsai tree and they love humidity. Use a humidifier or a humidity tray with pebbles and water. They like a sunny place. Dont let the temperature drop below 45 degrees fahrenheit. In the summer you can put them outdoors if it is warm enough.

o

Michael - what makes you think the tree is Texas Ebony?

o

I looked up a picture of the Texas ebony and the pods do not look the same. In the picture the shape of the tree was right but the pods where not. The pods are longer more like a stove pipe and flater and straight with no signs of beans but that could be because they were old and dry, in fact I saw no seeds at all and planted the pieces of the dry broken pods.
I'll keep watching the leaves just in case I'm wrong.
Thank you
Paul

o

Have you tried to Google 'pods of trees - southern U.S.' Images?

o

Lucy
I tried your suggestion and Wild tamarind (Leucaena leucocephala) pods are the best look alike but I'll still have to wait for leaves to develope because the 1st true leaves are not compound.
Paul

o

Hi guys,
I'm in the Houston Texas area and my mimosa tree has pods right now.

o

It is a cercis tree! It has horbeam shaped leaves with long dry flat pods.

o

That's Redbud to the rest of us :-).

o

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
RE: In door bonsai from seed? - ID? picture

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mousemanual/161040599/

The seeds came from the tree to the left of the 3 palms.
My granddaughter stood on the wall to get the long flat pods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here