Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fukien Tea - Moss or something else?

Posted by overlord (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 18:20

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This has spread over the last few weeks and iam unsure if this is moss or something else. Probably not good for a fukien, even if it is moss, but would like to know what it is first.

Jimmy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fukien Tea - Moss or something else?

It's lichen ("Like-In") and it's common with fukiens, but not always the best idea if it becomes too extensive. You may be spraying a lot or just watering a lot, but spraying achieves almost nothing and there are better ways to humidify. Also, your tree may not be getting enough sunlight all day so try and give it more. You can peel/scrape off the lichen if you want - usually it'll appear only in little bits, rather than one big one - or not, but keep an eye on it to see that it doesn't take over the whole trunk, or branches.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 22:07

Hmmm - doesn't look at all like lichen to me. Pic is hard to see, but ck out any one of several "liverworts" (aka scale moss), or it could just be algae.

Al

o

Tapla's right - liverwort. I tend to distinguish things as being moss or lichen (which we have loads of here), and forget about the others... but it's not moss, in any case.

o

I have it on bits and pieces of the soil of my ficus benjamina. It's not quite as wide-spread as the above pic. Will more sun eradicate it or should I pick those pieces out?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 10:00

Sun won't necessarily eliminate it. If you have it, you're keeping your soil too moist, the soil was inappropriate to begin with, or the soil has collapsed. Removing it will temporarily fix the problem.

Al

o

It looks like algae to me, they love sun and water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here