Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duemer

Cotoneaster Nursery Stock

duemer
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum & relatively new to bonsai, though I have had several indoor trees for a few years now -- ficus & rosemary, as well as a lovely juniper made out of nursery stock a couple of years ago that winters on a cold porch. That's my background -- limited.

Today, I was at the nursery looking for things for the yard when I came across a cotoneaster dammeri tipped on its side, the last of its kind & on sale. So I bought it, brought it home & trimmed back the suckers & several spindly limbs to get at the trunk's shape. It has some nice angles. So what I have is a two foot tall tree with a caliper at the base of under an inch, which is obviously way out of proportion for a bonsai. It's still in ins one gallon nursery containeter & I'm thinking of planting it out in the yard for a couple of years to thicken the trunk. Or should I just cut it way back to a couple of branches then let if fill out in proportion?

This is an inexpensive experiment, so it's no great loss if it blows up in my face. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (3)

Sponsored