Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ligustrum Issues.

Posted by Randomly_Interested none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:57

Hi everyone,

So I've had my ligustrum for about 2 years and so far there have been no problems.

Recently however things have taken a turn for the worse - the tree has dropped most of its leaves and the remaining ones are soft and curled.

I've recently (2 weeks ago) moved house and returned from holiday, during which my housemate watered the tree. It seemed OK but then its health took a nosedive.

What should I do to repair the damage? The tree is next to an east facing window in the UK so it gets a fair amount of sunlight.

Here are some photos: http://imgur.com/a/af59J

Thanks so much everyone,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ligustrum Issues.

Put the tree outside now, for life. It has no business indoors, let alone in an east window, especially in the UK. Your friend may have watered too much or not enough - can't tell from here obviously - but it won't get better where it is and not knowing anything else about it, what it's in, etc. can't say more now. For the first week or so however, if possible, move it out of direct sun during midday for a few hours (again, not knowing your day to day weather, it's hard to say).

o
RE: Ligustrum Issues.

Agreed: outdoors year round. Repot in bonsai soil soon, give a good trim (roots & top) & place in semi-shade to recuperate. Privets are tough -- it'll probably bounce back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here