Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalamuah

Help, i have no idea what this is.

Lalamuah
9 years ago

Hi guys, ok so i have had my plant for like 3 weeks. everything was fine. I saw that it had this fuzzy stuff on the top part of the trunk this morning. then i have these small black maybe brown spots on some of the leaves. i even have little buds.

Its a indoor plant. i used organic potting soil mix and natural kitty litter (the clay kind). i have it planted in my east window.

im a beginner and i really like this little guy. i want more but this is my first. i would appreciate any tips or suggestions. im very open. thanks guys. and i know this question was probably somewhere in the forum but the one i was looking at was sooo old. but thanks guys.

Comments (14)

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Did you like plan to post a picture on the site somewhere so we could take a look? Without that.... ??

• winterfell
    9 years ago

Sounds like sucking insects, which can be almost invisible to naked eye. Look with a hand lens for tiny pest like aphids. Sometimes when they infest a plant a sooty mold can build up. Wipe the off with insecticidal soap.

• Lalamuah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a picture

• Lalamuah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres another

• User
    9 years ago

lala,
    Why the kitty litter clay kind?
    Never heard of that. It is harboring alot of water.
    You don't water it much, do you?
    Take out the plant and check the roots.
    See if they are brown or mushy.
    You could be drowning it.
    I would replant it in just plain potting soil.
    Good Luck!

• cadillactaste
    9 years ago

Just curious why you suggested plain potting soil butterfly? Which...holds moisture as well. I've heard of kitty litter being added to bonsai soil substrate... But, typically I don't hear the suggestion of plain potting soil...with the fear of root rot being among the main concerns. Not trying to discredit you...but learn from where your going with your advice.

No clue as to the mold issue...other than, with organic soil...I have heard mold can appear from slow release fertilizer. Had that issue of mold on the substrate...not my tree though.

Winterfell seems to have given some good steps on what to possibly be your next corse of action. I would not fertilize until you find out what is going on...and correct it.
    I can't tell well in the photos what is going on. To be honest...something I've not came across myself. I wish you luck on finding something to correct this issue...and that you continue to enjoy the bonsai hobby.

• winterfell
    9 years ago

I am almost certain you have some critters attacking your plant. The other posters might be right too, because insects tend to infest weakened plants.

Sucking insects leave a sticky substance behind that mold grows on. Lots of different types of insects cause the damage and there are lots of different types of 'sooty molds'. Click the link for more info

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooty mold and pests that cause them

• Lalamuah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys.

Butterfly, i just went off what i was told in this article about Ginseng Ficus Bonasi

http://kuromatsubonsai.com/tropical-bonsai/ginseng-ficus-bonsai/

Cadillactaste and Winterfell, yeah i would look in the morning to get a better look at the plant. The lighting would be better and i would use a magnifying lens or something to see up close whats going on (or have my boyfriend look at it for me).

I also read that a homemade garlic spray could work. got it from this website
    http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/what-to-do-about-aphids

Im definitely going to try it out. But have you guys heard of it?

• moochinka
    9 years ago

Safer's Insecticidal Soap Spray would be more appropriate.

• cadillactaste
    9 years ago

I agree with the suggested insecticidal soap. More common place in treating such issues. Than a home remedy that...may or may not make things worse. Not everything you read online is truthful.

Not plant related...but, my neighbor girl who is in college...took a paste of peroxide and baking soda I believe...after putting a box color on her hair...and not liking the color. She found it was to help resolve what she felt an issue with the box color after doing a google search. Her long hair is now extremely short...for her hair all started falling out and breaking off. Just because it's online...doesn't mean it is fact. I would really hesitate to make any homemade item that hasn't been fool proofed by many. For fear of losing a tree. But, that is just me...if you are confident with your sources...feel it's worth the risk. And do decide to try the homemade stuff. You'll have to journal it...and share your experience here with us as to how it worked for you.

Wishing you good luck on finding what works for you...

• moochinka
    9 years ago

ANY hairdye applied immediately after any OTHER hairdye will cause breakage and falling out... whether or not the peroxide mix was a good or bad one. But sounds like she ended up bonsai'ing her hair - did she follow the rules :-)?

• cadillactaste
    9 years ago

Lol she also colored her hair three times I think I heard...before the peroxide paste was applied.

But, I am leery doing homemade treatments to live plants. I just thought to use her as an example since she read it was okay online to do what she did. Not sure what source or site she found her info...but it pays to make sure a source is legit if it's something being applied to something. Be it hair...or a live tree.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The second picture shows that you have a scale insect infestation. As for the first one, it's just too blurry to tell.

Clay kitty litter is a very poor choice for a potting medium amendment. Put some of the granules in a cup and add just enough water to cover it. In a few hours it will turn to mush. That's the exact opposite of what is desirable in a potting mix.

It might be easiest for you to simply find an on line source for a regular bonsai medium. Later on, you can learn how to make your own.

If you Google scale insects, you'll find some good suggestions for control. I always recommend a horticultural oil for scale. Make sure that the leaves are clean (wash the leaves with mild soapy water, rinse, and allow to air dry) before applying a horticultural oil according to the label directions.

• Lalamuah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys for the great advice.i will definitely buy the insecticidal soap and will post an update in a couple of weeks.