Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Look at $34 can buy you at the local Nursery!

ryan_tree
13 years ago

Hey everyone.

Went to my local Merrifield Nursery today, if anyone knows what that is. It is a major nursery in several different states. Anyway, they are pretty overpriced. They also have a small "bonsai" section, which has just about everything. While perusing their "bonsai" section, I found this little Bald Cypress. Now, before you go and blow my head off, I get excited when I see Bald Cypress. They aren't in nurseries around here. I figured I would simply either put this into the ground, or a growing box. What do you guys think? Remember, don't kill me!

{{gwi:14668}}

{{gwi:14670}}

{{gwi:14672}}

Also, what would be the best way to grow this guy? I thought about planting it into a pond basket and placing it into my pond to let it grow. Anyone agree? And about that nasty root. I found that the tree is planted too high and when I repot, I am going to plant it deeper. But when should I do this?

Ryan

Comments (17)

• larke
    13 years ago

Don't plant it in water, not necessary as long as it gets enough regular watering. And you know by now that deciduous get repotted in early spring - I know you know!

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay okay. You're right. I do know that. Shame on me :)

I figured the water planting would get it that nice flared base, but that is probably over time.

But I really need to get this thing out of that tiny constricting pot, so I guess I just got anxious. It just kills me to see such a tiny tree in such a tiny pot. You know? Thanks!

Ryan

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Ryan, while I wouldn't recommend the commute for everyday shopping...this ficus was $13 USD from a local nursery. It's now replacing the water jasmine in the big pot out front.

{{gwi:14674}}

A fellow I know, Guy Guidry, owns a Bonsai nursery in Lousiana and will happily take you on a dig for a bigger one if you want it ;)) and pretty cheap for a bigger one.

Larke
    They can be and are grown in water. A friend has 2 collected ones from Lousiana which are both happily living in (large) 'pond-pots' in the state of Pennsylvania.

Ryan...
    You can have this one for a paltry $300 US but the shipping may kill you (no it's not Photoshopped) my friend Tuan stands a whopping 5' 4" tall.

{{gwi:14676}}

Bob

• larke
    13 years ago

Oh, I know they're grown in water, but it's not necessary at all.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Ryan - I have a couple of Bald cypress in nursery beds fattening up, and they're growing right next to junipers, maples, and Japanese snowbell, so they're tolerant of a wide range of soil moisture levels.

Tip: Wounds heal quickly & the plant will break back from the trunk like crazzy, so for now, concentrate on your taper and trunk line. For example, next spring you could remove all the growth from the main trunk and tie the small branch to it as your new leader; or just wire it up and chop the trunk above that small branch.

I just bought 2 European larches with 1"+ trunks that I found on sale at Menard's for 9.99 ea. I took some pics of the work I started on one of them ..... maybe I'll start a thread & post some pics so those new to bonsai can get an idea of how to plan work on their trees so they end up with plant material that has good taper, which is very important to believability and the illusion of age in most styles.

Al

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much.

I have heard a lot about Guy, that would be great to dig with him, but I live kinda far away. And thanks for offering that monster of a Bald Cypress Bob, but I think I will have to pass :) The shipping would kill me.

Thanks Al. Would you recommend me planting this into the ground, or just a bigger pot for now?

Ryan

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Al~
    People like me, with a million questions, would love to see the pictures. :)

JJ

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just went out and looked at the tree. The leader is wilting! Could this be due to the heat? It was in a greenhouse when I bought it. I placed a saucer full of water underneath it. So now the pot and the tree are sitting in a saucer of water. Hopefully it will get enough humidity to help it. Anyone think this will work?

Ryan

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nevermind. After placing the saucer full of water under the tree, it has perked up. I will leave the saucer there. I was also told I could slip pot this tree into another pot, but can I use regular soil? I think it may be planted in turface, but I don't have enough of that. I might just use moisture control soil, then plant the tree in a 5 gallon bucket with 2 inches of water at top. Should be interesting. Thanks!

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Ryan -- if you mean the one Tuan is standing beside that's a ficus...his whole family could sleep in the pot LOL.

We didn't really 'dig' the cypresses we collected. We were sloshing around in the swamp in waders, found a few that looked good, lopped off the tops then used a saw and cut off the roots about 6" below the water. I think it was actually harder than really digging a tree ;))

Al is right, in spring -- like a dawn redwood -- they break so heavily that they turn into little fluffballs all over the trunk.

Bob

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yes. A ficus. I have no idea what I was thinking it was. It looks huge!

I would LOVE to go on a cypress hunting trip. But I live too far away, and I doubt my parents would even let me :)

I have had so many options on what to do with this tree, and I am still not 100% sure what I am going to do. Boy, this is difficult.

Ryan

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Most cypress, like dawn redwood look best if grown/styled the same way they are found in the wild. If you've seen them or seen pics most are almost formal upright with a tight narrow crown or nothing but the top 1/3rd of the tree with any kind of foliage.

In both cases the foliage becomes almost an afterthought, the beauty of these trees is in the magnificent trunk and a well developed nabari. The cypress trunk only really gets character once it becomes 'fluted' with age. Putting yours in the ground or in a large training box, allowing it to go vertical for a number of years, will quicken this process.

Bob

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is what I thought Bob, thank you. I think I will put it into the ground. This fall is a good time for that, right?

I had a Giant Sequoia in the place where I plan on planting this tree, but the Sequoia died. I think it had too much water. So, if that's the case, the Cypress will thrive. The Dawn Redwood that is in the same area is thriving, at least. First year, shot up 2 feet.

Ryan

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

You can plant it anytime, may as well get it in the ground now. The DR's we field grew put on about 2 feet a year and a few inches in trunk girth. Most of them were left go to around 20' before establishing a new leader and cutting back to what looked good for a taper. They were impressive trees but too big for most people. After about 5 years they were 'field-finished' and ready to go right into a pot...a 4 man pot.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you sure now is an okay time? I don't want to end up killing this tree. I always thought you plant trees in the fall....

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure. As a landscaper/bonsai grower in western Pennsylvania for many years I would have been...well...out of business if I had not been able to dig/plant trees, shrubs, etc March through September.

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have decided not to plant this tree into the ground, but instead plant my other BC that I have in a bigger pot, into the ground. This tree pictured probably has very little roots and would have a rough time establishing itself. The other one in the big pot I will plant into the ground since it has more roots. You still think I can do that now? It is kinda hot out here.....

Ryan

Sponsored