Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianflorida

Masakuni tool question

brianflorida
13 years ago

Greetings to the Bonsai section of the Garden Web !

I am looking for any information regards a Masakuni cutting tool I picked up. I am a Bromeliad enthusiast and found an old pair of snips(?) at the flea market. A soaking in vinegar revealed an excellent tool marked MASAKUNI, and Made in Japan. however I am unable to find any data or pics of this type of tool, possibly an early version, but then I would still expect to find a pic of some sort.

I have tried several search variations via google with no returns.

Searched the Garden Web and found no data on these.

I will have to seek help to post a link to a pic.

Here is a description: 7 inches long, similar to a standard pliers. The tail ends of the handles form a small curve out and back into themselves, sort of like the letter p. The cutting blades are approx 1 3/4 inches long and still cut excellent, although I am just trimming my bromeliads.

What a quality tool to hold in your hand ! Now I am a little crazy to find out exactly what this is.

Any and all help is appreciated !

Brian

Comments (13)

• larke
    13 years ago

It's most likely a concave cutter - if you Google Makasuni bonsai tools (or c...) you should find other examples. They're made for cutting branches of small trees (e.g. bonsai).

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Agreed

Copy/paste to your browser:

http://www.masakuni.com/f01.htm

Al

• brianflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You !
    OK, the cutting jaws are very similar, but the "curved back to the handle" section is very, very small compared to the Trimmimg Shears #201. That section is just a little larger than the rivet or pin that is displayed for #201.

I hope to have some tech support tomorrow to allow me to post a link to a pic.

Thanks again, Brian

13 years ago

I'm not following you. The link was supposed to take you to the concave cutters, but I see it doesn't, for some reason. Cruise around the site and click on the link to concave cutters & tell us if we're getting close. You can also email me a picture. I'm sure I'll be able to identify what you have.

If the cutting blades are not curved, they could be an old pair of ikebana shears, similar to the ones here by another manufacturer: http://www.stonelantern.com/Koyo_Ikenobo_Ikebana_Shears_p/tik17102-tkoy604.htm

Al

• brianflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pics, we've got pics now !
    Please take a look at these,(paste in browser) and let me know what you think these things are !
    You can blow up the pics to see the markings.

Apolgies to those that already know this stuff, but I myself have never used Flicker before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51793782@N02/#photo4768341319

Thanks Brian

13 years ago

They ARE ikebana shears.

Al

• brianflorida
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I apologise for asking for clarification, but this is not my field. The shear type is ikebana, made by Masakuni ?

Thanks Brian

13 years ago

Ikebana applies minimalism (and some of the artistic concepts) of bonsai to the Japanese art of flower/plant arranging. The shears are specifically designed for those who practice that art.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: If you click me, I'll tell you more .....

• HU-388851290
    2 years ago

Im trying to figure out if my knives are masakuni and if they arent then whos makers mark are these? any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 years ago

Image, please? Masakuni (several makers by that name) knives start at the low price of several hundred dollars each, and it's not uncommon for some of the knives to cost upwards of 30 thousand dollars. Not something you'd see clashing against a fork while carving the Thanksgiving turkey.

Unfortunately, there are thousands of Japanese knife makers. Best of luck to you.

Al

• HU-388851290
    2 years ago

• HU-388851290
    2 years ago

I have a set of 9 with that makers mark on each one.

2 years ago

It might have been helpful to see the remainder of the set. My best guess is they are a set of high carbon steel grafting/ budding knives/ chisels, but they could turn out to be wood carving tools or something similar. Not much help from this quarter, I'm afraid.

Al

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County