Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wvubeerman

Starting a bonsai

wvubeerman
13 years ago

So i want to start a bonsai, i want to try and do the pepper bonsai and maybe a apple bonsai. I am interested in knowing how to make the trunk twist at the base of the plant. any books or info on this would be much appreciated.

Comments (18)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Well, I can't help with the apple....but here's the link that got me interested in growing peppers....
    I started three years ago with a single Hungarian Wax Pepper, and I've managed to keep it alive.
    It's in the garden right now, producing many pods, but I'll dig it back up between October and November.

You can see examples of fusing and other techniques to create a viable trunk.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating and growing your own Bonchi`s

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I am also interested in this. Josh, how thick is the trunk on your pepper? I saw some at Lowes and I'm thinking about buying them. They said like Tango Peppers on them or something.... Thanks!

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Josh,
    Your such a trouble maker! LOL!!

you got me and ryan wanting to run out and buy peppers! ROFL!!

I love this link! Espicially the rainbow pepper.

I've seen ornamental before, in big box stores, but thought "what would I do with it" ? :)

Now I need to go shopping. :)

Thanks, ;)
    JoJo

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I already bought mine ;)

I have no idea what type it is though!

Anyone good at identifying peppers?

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Oh!! No fair! ROFL!!

I'm headed out in a few hours..;)

We'll see what I can find! I haven't had a car for awhile, so dying to go shopping anyway. ;)

Does it have peppers on it?

Josh grows quite a few peppers, he may know. Maybe you could post a pic.

Best whishes!

JoJo

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I've already posted it in the Peppers section, but here it is :)

{{gwi:15021}}

{{gwi:15023}}

Actually, there are 3 seperate plants in one pot.

13 years ago

I'm glad to see that I've lit a fire, so to speak, in your bellies! ;)

Ryan, my Hungarian has a woody, 5/8 inch trunk. Every year it'll thicken.

Ornamental peppers with smaller fruit and smaller leaves will probably make the
    best bonsai impression. Ornamentals are usually very hot, however....
    so be forewarned.

Josh

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

They started showing up here during last Tet Holiday, not Bonsai but a bushy little pepper plant in a pot for gifts. I think if my wife didn't have chilis with every meal she will die so she brought 3 little plants home from her brothers' then we planted seeds from one she was eating.

I read the other thread and was thinking about messing with one, now I'm up to my butt in them ;))
    The 3 transplants aren't really doing much but hanging on in this heat, the seedlings are growing pretty well.

Actually 'useful' Bonsai isn't a bad idea.

bob

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,
    Yes, you did light a fire.LOL!
    Here's what I got. :) It reads Capsicum annum on the label.
    I love the colors! The purple is amazing mixed with the green on the leaves.

One of the peppers has turned red. :)

{{gwi:15025}}

{{gwi:15026}}

Now what do I do with it!? LOL!

Ryan.. how is yours doing.?

JoJo

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

That one looks really interesting!

Mine are doing great and keep pushing new peppers weekly. I still haven't a clue what kind of pepper it is though.....

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Good Morning

Thanks Ryan. :) The colors are almost metalic, and happen to be my 2 favorite. lol..

Good to hear yours is doing good. How are you growing it? In the ground or container?

Still no name for it? bump your post. :)

I think mine should have more to the name than it does. I did a quick google, and it seems there are several by the name mine has. Oh well, well see how it goes.

JoJo

13 years ago

Howdy!

JoJo, you have an excellent pepper!
    For a better chance at an ID, you might want to post pics at the Pepper Forum.
    Flowers, pod shape, and a shot of the whole plant will be needed.

Capsicum annuum includes many different peppers - from Bells to Poblanos, Jalapeños
    to Hungarians, Cayennes to Pepperoncinis. I wonder if yours is a Numex Centennial?

Your peppers will be hot, but not too hot. They'll sting the mouth, fo sure.

Josh

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I am growing mine in a container in plain ol' potting soil. I need to bump that post with mine at the Peppers forum. I will bring up some updated pics in a bit.

• stefpix
    13 years ago

Thai Hot is ornamental, has small leaves , makes lots of peppers. But not sure if develops a fat trunk as fast as some Caribbean C chinenses peppers that though are larger leaves. I would try different ones. Easy to start from seeds if you buy nnot green peppers at ethnic markets.

Also nice for bonsai I think Hot Cherry red. medium sized. Ornamentals look more bush like than tree like.

• shoontok
    13 years ago

I think im hooked on growing pepper plants. Now im gonna make them into little bonsai's this winter. I blame Josh for this new obsession!

At the start of this season i grew peppers for eating. Now im fascinated with different varieties and even overwintering these plants as bonsai type plants!

I plan on overwintering 7 different pepper varieties this winter and so far i have 3 prepped to go.

From left to right, Serrano, Carribean Red and Hot Cherry.

{{gwi:15028}}

• stefpix
    13 years ago

I have been growing different peppers this year. I noticed the ornamentals do not develop a fat trunk. What really got thick and woody is a Tabasco from seed and then some Caribbean hot C. chinense that also have exposed gnarly roots.

I have Thai hot. Lots of pods but it looks more like a shrub than a tree. I would suggest non ornamental even if I have Peruvian Purple and Chinese 5 colors that are an exception. But habaneros taste better and look more like trees. Slower growing though that C annuum

13 years ago

Howdy!
    Good to see you two here!

Stef is right...the ornamentals have smaller leaves, but they're not as trunky.
    Funny you should mention the Tabasco. I grew one this year and it has the best
    trunk of any of my peppers - so good, in fact, that I'm considering overwintering
    it (eventhough I haven't been pleased with its growth or fruit development).
    I might have to keep it just for the trunk, though.

Those of you overwintering for the first time: don't be discouraged if some plants die.
    One of my Thai peppers died last winter. So I grew a new Thai to try this year.

Josh

• blankpages
    13 years ago

This is a great thread. I actually had 5 of those grow up voluntarily this spring in a tomato pot (same as JoJo's the Capsicum annum). I saw a great example of these in bonsai form from at our local greenhouse/nursery. I've been growing a few all summer and I thought I should've had them in smaller pots with a drier soil mix. This is all good to know. By the way, small as they are, they're tasty peppers when sliced thin and eaten with pizza!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!