Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting bonsai out of season

Posted by Gardening_Kiwi UK (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 6:34

Hello all

I am new to bonsai and have a problem with my Zelkova. I think that it needs repotting as there are lots of little fine thread-like roots coming up from the soil. It only has about 10% leaves on it at the moment but new ones are still appearing. I suspect my poor watering technique is to blame - I must do better. It is late summer here so not really the time to repot but it looks in such poor condition that i'm not sure which will be the worst option; repotting out of season or leaving it for another few months. I'd be grateful for some advice.

Many thanks

Gardening Kiwi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting bonsai out of season

• Posted by Lucy 5b NE (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 21:46

Can you just literally lift the whole thing out of its pot in one piece, very gently bring down the worst of the 'up' roots, and get it into a slightly larger pot just tamping new fast draining soil around the rootball for now and doing nothing else at all til spring? Best to wait til Oct/Nov. even for that though.

o

We had a storm that broke some of my bonsai pots so I had to repot them in the worst of summer. So far so good, I haven't lot one yet. Zack

o

• Posted by TimZ8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 9:22

As long as you're not cutting roots it would be OK with the proper recover period and method. Keep them out of full sun for about a month. I had to repot a failing san jose juniper about 6 weeks ago in 100 degree heat and it has put out lots of new growth.

o

Repotting seems to be something many people fear. If the mix you have your tree in is too rich (think dirt) then the drainage will complicate things further than an out of season repot would. Thats not to say that repotting SHOULD be done at any time, but it can be used as an emergency fix. The sooner its in better soil (with good aftercare including proper watering technique) the better the chance of survival.

WF

o

I just repotted my Chinese Elm which is in a very tiny pot and the summer here is very hot. I just lifted it out of its pot like mentioned before and inserted it into a bigger pot with gritty soil all around the base. Time will tell but I cannot see how this could drastically affect the tree when nothing was really upset much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here