Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

weigela advice & reccomendations

hookilau
11 years ago

I bought 5 Weigela stick looking things really cheap sometime probably at the tail end of the season at which it should have been planted. In my area, anyway =)

I say this because they never really took off & had an odd habit where they grew on one stem, appearing as an 8" standard. Then the other branches radiating outward like a spider, it was bizarre =)

I found them unwieldy in the landscape, so I pulled them in favor of mums & put them into pots for my patio. After pruning, they actually look like they might make a good starter bonsai for a beginner like myself.

I hosed off the garden soil & cut enough of the roots & branches to fit in a 6" pot of gritty mix. Here's one of the 4 that were salvageable. Even if these don't turn out to be bonsai-worthy, I thought I might just grow them as wee standards. I planned to winter them in a sheltered area outside as I'm guessing that bringing them in would be detrimental. Should I have put them in 511? Any recommendations for further pruning (should they survive the next few weeks) or advice on culture/care would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored