Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rypeez

My First Bonsai, dwarf jade. Need advice!

Rypeez
10 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first bonsai tree (dwarf jade) that I purchased from our local Wal-Mart about a week ago. Before purchasing it I did some very minor research, not understanding how much information on bonsai's trees is out there, and thought that Shultz cactus potting soil would be sufficient to replace the soil that it had came in. I repotted it that day. After repotting and becoming more informed, a week later... I realized a better draining soil was in need. I had not watered the plant since I bought it because the soil was very, very wet and also the cactus soil was also a little moist right out of the bag. Yesterday I went on a search for the items I would need for the soil I was trying to mix, I ended up at our local Menards store and to my surprise found everything I needed on the shelves, because I've read many people have a difficult time finding what they need. I purchased Shultz aquatic planting soil, turface. 3/8 uncomposted pine bark, and 3/8 pebble stones(now realized porous stones would have been better, too late!) I put everything through a 1/8 inch screen and thoroughly washed and let it dry before mixing. I ended up with with 3 gallon bags of mixed soil, and had 40lbs of stone let and 1.5 cubic feet of pine fines left, all for under 17 dollars..
So, one week after purchasing and repotting my dwarf jade into cactus soil, I found myself repotting it into the soil I had mixed. Before repotting I had notic the leaves were getting a lighter colour and turning white around the edges, (I took this as needing watering) so as soon as a got it into my bonsai soil, I poured 1cup of water over all the soil and let it drain. The Leaves still look the same and some of the smaller leaves are turning all white now, any suggestions? That was the only time it has gotten water since I purchased it.
Also, I am growing indoors under a fluorescent grow lamp, it has a 1600lumen bulb and is 5 inches away from the top of the plant. Is this sufficient light, would anyone recommend moving closer or farther away? Air curriculation isn't the best but temp and relatively high humidity (for indoors anyhow) are constant.
The pictures I took were way to blurry to even put on here so ill post some later, taken from a smart phone.. I will try to get some better ones and post them.
I really appreciate any and all advice I can get and really want to become more informed about gardening, and bonsai's in general. Sorry for the longgg post, Thanks and Thanks again.
Ryan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH