Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishinfool96

Bonsai potential?

fishinfool96
15 years ago

Hello I'm new on the Bonsai forum and to the art of Bonsai. My daughter and I started this tree from seed we found in a big black pod found along the sidewalk. I believe it is a honey locust tree. Someone told me it was black locust but the seed pod was 6" long and curved like a banana. I belive black locusts pod arent that big and are also flat. Anyway I've been interested in bonsai for a while and decided to give it a try on this tree. I bought 'Bonsai (101 Essential Tips)', its in the mail right now. I really don't know much about bonsai but I do have experience with trees and shrubs. My only worry is winter protection. It can get pretty brutal here in N.Michigan. I was thinking of keeping it on my front porch where there is no heat but out of the wind and away from all the snow. Well here it is, a 4 month old honey locust. I need some suggestions and comments.

{{gwi:15536}}

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Do honey locust trees survive in your area?

Most folks will say plant the seedling in the ground, or put it into a larger container. This is the best method to fatten up the trunk.

It looks like you have it in a good loose medium, primarly bark and perlite (I think). Drainage holes, I assume?

Thanks for sharing! I love projects, and I love updates along the way.

Josh

• fishinfool96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The city planted a bunch of them along the streets and suprisingly they are doing really good, better than most of the maples they planted. I'll get a picture of the mother tree later. I just up-potted it yesterday, I doubled the size of the pot. The roots have room to grow for now. It was in a 2" pot with no drainage kept outside. The soil was WAY too soggy. Some kind of larva was eating the roots, I think it was fungus knats. They were very small clearish, wormy type larva. I trew out the dirt and washed the roots, then potted in 3 parts pine bark, 1.5 parts perlite and 1 part peat. I mixed in a litte control release fertilizer and a pinch of dolomite (garden lime).

I'm skeptical that it will survive the winter. The trees the city planted were 10-12' established trees this seedling is much more tender. I may up-pot it again before the cold comes just to give it more dirt around the root ball. Just have to wait and see I guess. Thanks Jeremiah

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

If you're not experienced managing canopy (leaf) mass and ramification, you may want to consider directing your efforts toward an easier species. The reason I say that is because of the extremely long compound leaves on this tree, made up of 15-30 leaflets. The tree you show in the picture has only 3 leaves on it. It will probably be difficult to manage ramification. Also, compound leaves often don't reduce well.

Al

• fishinfool96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Al. It was just an idea. My daughter found the seed pods and wanted to plant the seeds so we did. The initial intention was to just plant them in the wild and check on them every so often just for fun. Thats probably what we'll do. Maybe on Arbor Day next spring. Then someday when she's older she can see them as big trees and feel proud that she started them. I will try to learn the art of bonsai, gonna read a couple books first though. Maybe through my reading I can get a better idea on how and where to start.
    Jeremiah

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

For those just starting in bonsai, I think the 2003 edition of the Sunset book 'BONSAI' is excellent. Its well done & much better than the earlier editions. ISBN 0-376-03046-1

It starts with a history of the art form, moves on to the basics, and takes you through what it takes to get started before it goes into a little more detail and finally ends in a discussion about various plants. I have 2 copies and it's always the first book I loan to beginners.

Al

• fishinfool96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Al,I just ordered the book you reccomended. Now I have two books in the mail. Thanks again everyone for the help. I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me.
    Jeremiah

• lucy
    15 years ago

For winter, you can sink the pot into a much larger container of mulch (with its own drainage) and put it in the garage, unheated porch, etc. It's done all the time.

• fishinfool96
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How's this for irony, I got to work today and found out I had to plant four honey locust trees. They were 3.5" caliper and very nice. After talking about them yesterday I though it was kinda funny to plant some today.
    Jeremiah

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Speak of the devil... ;)

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH